Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  24
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I agree with JS that the rest of the fly is good but the hackle is a bit long for this style of fly. There again that is our preference and others might like a longer hackle. There are no set rules apart from tie everything in tight.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Hi nice fly. What feathers do you use for hackles, i have bought packets of cock hackles but they seam to be all longer than required, none really small enough. Finding this part of fly hard to tie. Even after watching sbs. Re john

The packets you have are probably the Large size which are suitable for size 6 and bigger. The Short ones are for the smaller hooks.
    Generally we use cock hackles. It is best to buy CHINESE capes in Orange, Black and Yellow which are the main colours we use to start with. With a cape you get a full range of hackle sizes.
    Cookshill do very good capes. Send Steve an email at cookshillft@aol.com telling him what you want.
    Don't buy Veniards capes they are rubbish.
    For odd colours send me a PM and I will send you some.
    Last edited by gwelsher; 14-01-2020 at 10:10 PM.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Quote Originally Posted by Johnyg View Post
    Hi nice fly. What feathers do you use for hackles, i have bought packets of cock hackles but they seam to be all longer than required, none really small enough. Finding this part of fly hard to tie. Even after watching sbs. Re john
    Packets of cock hackles are usually all of the one size so it's not likely you have anything shorter in the packet.

Those hackles are off hen capes, which are softer and suit where I fish more, which I bought from cookshill fly tying. The capes were not too expensive at under 6 each and will do hundreds of flys. Steve will do cock hackles too.

This is the website for cookshill. Cookshill Fly Tying Materials

You can't buy directly from the website but email Steve and check availability and he'll tell you how to go about making the payment and that. I usually use PayPal.
    Last edited by Jockiescott; 14-01-2020 at 09:52 PM.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12