Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another thumbs up for Barrio lines, I must have bought a dozen for myself and friends and no complaints at all. I have a Barrio Switch F, #8/9 and it's a fine line. Like NEbody says, it'll handle polyleaders though my own experience is limited to 5 ft Int & Slow Sink Airflo Salmon sizes.

I did cast an Exceed this season and, tbh, it wasn't a rod for me being a bit stiff and insensitive, I felt. It may be better suited to a higher-rated line, e.g. a #7/8, even a #8, rather than a #6/7 or #7.
    I've read that Rio lines are rated half a weight under true, i.e. a #7 = #7 1/2. Maybe others can confirm/refute, but if a Barrio doesn't suit then a Rio might?

If your mate usually fishes one river it might help to say. I spent a few years on the Spey where I used a 65ft full Spey line happily. However, I'm now working on a much narrower river with varying flows from tumbles to canals and find that for many beats the full Spey line is just 'too much head'. By that I mean that, often, by the time one has retrieved to the colour change the fly is only a half or third of the way across the pool. You can either fan cast to cover the pool or 'over-retrieve' to keep the fly moving but the latter necessitates a false cast downstream to get the head out of the top again - noisy and time-wasting.
    The better option for this narrower, often slower water seems to be in shorter shooting heads which, because they're shorter, can be retrieved for longer allowing the inside bank to be better covered. But I do find them splashier! Maybe that's my relative inexperience with Skagit & Scandi lines, though.
    Anyway, my point is, it may be better to suit the line type to his home waters, then choose the maker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.Chessman View Post
    Another thumbs up for Barrio lines, I must have bought a dozen for myself and friends and no complaints at all. I have a Barrio Switch F, #8/9 and it's a fine line. Like NEbody says, it'll handle polyleaders though my own experience is limited to 5 ft Int & Slow Sink Airflo Salmon sizes.

I did cast an Exceed this season and, tbh, it wasn't a rod for me being a bit stiff and insensitive, I felt. It may be better suited to a higher-rated line, e.g. a #7/8, even a #8, rather than a #6/7 or #7.
    I've read that Rio lines are rated half a weight under true, i.e. a #7 = #7 1/2. Maybe others can confirm/refute, but if a Barrio doesn't suit then a Rio might?

If your mate usually fishes one river it might help to say. I spent a few years on the Spey where I used a 65ft full Spey line happily. However, I'm now working on a much narrower river with varying flows from tumbles to canals and find that for many beats the full Spey line is just 'too much head'. By that I mean that, often, by the time one has retrieved to the colour change the fly is only a half or third of the way across the pool. You can either fan cast to cover the pool or 'over-retrieve' to keep the fly moving but the latter necessitates a false cast downstream to get the head out of the top again - noisy and time-wasting.
    The better option for this narrower, often slower water seems to be in shorter shooting heads which, because they're shorter, can be retrieved for longer allowing the inside bank to be better covered. But I do find them splashier! Maybe that's my relative inexperience with Skagit & Scandi lines, though.
    Anyway, my point is, it may be better to suit the line type to his home waters, then choose the maker.
    I prefer a shorter scandi head on narrow sections for the same reason. If you want to add some speed or movement it means retreiving alot of the head inside the rings then either a false cast or messing on to get it back to the colour change.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis.Chessman View Post

A good point - he should match his rod to the water he intends to fish.

Unfortunately I think he has convinced himself (or been convinced) that the shorter the rod, the easier will be his days fishing. I suspect he wants to use a very short rod, on medium to large rivers.

I think he could be barking up the wrong tree - but as I have never fished with a Switch rod I will have to keep an open mind !

All your other comments make sense too.
    Last edited by offshore; 29-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12