Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Rio AFS float doctoring

How much are members cutting off the front of the AFS float to improve turnover with tips ? And also, can a loop be welded afterwards ? I've had trouble trying to weld floating lines in the past.

Any advice appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintrexorcised View Post
    How much are members cutting off the front of the AFS float to improve turnover with tips ? And also, can a loop be welded afterwards ? I've had trouble trying to weld floating lines in the past.

Any advice appreciated.
    Never had a problem with 6’ or 10’ polytips. If I’m fishing longer 15’ or “T” tips I’ve a Rio Scandi body that I use.

Sintrexorcised, what tips are you using?.Presume its 10ft poly tips you are referring to?.I know the early AFS weren't all that good at turning over the heavier poly tips certainly the Brown 3.9 ips and above.But I'm led to believe the newer lines are sorted for this now?.
    I had the 8/9 floater and hover/inty and neither of those were too good with the heavier 10ft polys.It was do able but everything had to be bob on in the casting stakes to get away with it.Rather than cut them I passed them on and went to Guideline heads which were perfectly predictable with even the LSR 24's and copper tubes.
    If you're stoned on in keeping the line, then a braided loop, fit the heaviest 10ft poly and tippet to a 1 1/2" copper tube flee, test cast and cut back from the tip end no more than a few inches at a time, re fitting the braid each time then test cast again until you are satisfied.Bear in mind you can't stick it back on, so go very carefully.
    Best option is keep your AFS as it is and buy a 2nd hand Guideline head for use with polys and heavier flee's.An un cut AFS with a tapered leader and small flee is a very good presentation tool for when Salar gets finicky and the waters low n clear!.
    Best of luck however you go.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 17-11-2019 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Best option is keep your AFS as it is and buy a 2nd hand Guideline head for use with polys and heavier flee's.An un cut AFS with a tapered leader and small flee is a very good presentation tool for when Salar gets finicky and the waters low n clear!.
    I second that.

The intact AFS outbound is a brilliant bit of kit, don't cut it up! It's designed to present small flies well with tapered leaders or 10ft polyleaders, nothing more. My 9/10 AFS begins to struggle with a 10ft 7ips poly and heavier fly, but that's because it's at the limit of it's range!

I got a couple of Guideline 3D heads last season for fishing deep/big flies - they work a treat!