Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Default Vision Ace shooting heads.

Hi there
    Just wondering if anybody else had used the Vision ace shooting heads? I have been looking at them for a while but just wondering if anybody had experience with them and in particular the cear floating that fishes slightly lower down in the surface film so to prevent disturabnce

cheers

Default Ace Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Tweed123 View Post
    Hi there
    Just wondering if anybody else had used the Vision ace shooting heads? I have been looking at them for a while but just wondering if anybody had experience with them and in particular the cear floating that fishes slightly lower down in the surface film so to prevent disturabnce

cheers
    Found them ok but needed to go up one line size compared to the AFS heads I normally use to get them to load the rod.

Fantastic lines, both the old range and the new. Their aftm class is cobblers but head weights are spot on.

The clear floaters a problem line for me though, because I generally spey cast. Being clear it's difficult to see the d loop form so a real pain to use.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys
    I was never too sure about them but think I will try them out but going by head weights and not line ratings. Do you guys fish them with a poly tip to make the presentation better or are they good enough so that yoou are just able to use a bit of level mono or fluro on them?

The Vision heads are good heads, yes the ratings are out, just go to the head gram. weights but they cast very well indeed.
    Like every other shooting head going they perform best with either a 10ft poly. and a length of tippet or a tapered leader and length of tippet so its all slightly longer than the length of the rod in total.
    Not tried the clear floater, but it's a line I could use so interested!.
    Pedro.

Hello,
    It is a very good shooting head, to use with a polyleader. the little less is the
    difficulty to correctly follow his drift in some of brightness.
    Personally the fact that its flotation is very low, it allows me to "under" load the weight of the shoot and fishing very light.

I always liked the ACE heads in Floating from the beginning, but didnít like the dual densities, sinktips, because I found them too tip heavy.
    Exception was the clear Intermediate tip, because I Ąneededď it. Also a little tip heavy but smothed out with an Intermediate Polyleader of 8Ď to 10Ď a deadly weapon for seatrouts in slower water, in combination with a light doublehander for a subtle presentation. I believe in it when fishing a fast fly and the tip or more of the line comes across the fishes.

The first floaters, Generation one, years ago, were the finest Scandy heads available for years. They changed manufacturing in generation two and the coating was much stiffer, in the beginning. I bought what I could get from Gen. 1 and still use them. Still have some in the freezer for my coming years. They were excellent as 6/7 (23 Gramm) and 7/8 (26 gramm) that times.
    Generation 3 called carrot now and color is orange. Sadly no longer available in 23 Gramm, only up from 26 gramm.
    They are shorter in tip now. A Polyleader is reasonable or a longer tapered Mono leader. The old ones had the finest tapered tips, no PL needed. Pure grace in presentation in 23 and 26 Gramms.

The clear Floater is worth a try for spooky fishes and fishing the fly fast. But it must be said itís not clear as the word means. Its not like glass. Itís a little milky, comparable to the Airflo Polyleader Hover.

I donít have problems in casting it. I donít look at my loop, only to the anchor, But if used to do so and being able to turn the head like an owl😁 (I only do it while hunting&#128513, there is also the possibility of the colored Floater with the clear tip.
    And itís better to see on the surface for control of speed and placement.
    The clear Floater, for me, is the option for cross over, no mending, fly fast as possible, no control or mending needed, stripping to the end of the swing.
    Hope that is some help.
    Cheers
    Roland