Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  21
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Shakespeare Oracle Expedition Switch Rod 11' 7/8

Made a few comments before about this rod but it was only today that I had a chance to do some casting with it on a river, hence this post.

So pleased with the 13' 9" that I splashed the cash ( (some 67 ) on the Shakey 11' 7/8 switch without even casting it just a wiggle at Angling Active and I was sold, could not really go wrong at 67, (their Open weekend price for those who only drew a 10% discount voucher )

Reel seat better than the 13' 9" but it is of the screw up variety and I prefer to screw and lock downwards. Finish and cork of high quality, better than many far more expensive rods, although no alignment marks like the 13' 9" ....well I suppose with a RRP of only 89.99 they had to cut costs somehow

I bought the rod for small river fishing with a floating line, no real intention to do skagit casting of heavy sink tips and flies, but having tried it with an 8wt Rio Scandi body and a 15' extra fast monteith tip (7" / sec) and found how good it is with this, I might have to find situations where I can use it for that as well

You can judge for yourself the ability of the rod in the video below to cope with the lines used and the caster My single spey left a lot to be desired I've promised the rod I'll work on it

Dash, currently can't seem to embed a youtube video so you'll have to make do with the link below. Watch in HD if you can, you will see more clearly what the rod and lines are doing to compensate for the silly bloke casting them

Pic of rod

along side the 13' 9"

Me, I am more than happy with both rods

Cheers,
    Jock

Took some more video of the 13' 9" Exp as well which I can upload and post in that thread if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by Jock; 23-04-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    currently can't seem to embed a youtube video
    You're not alone , John.

There doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with that rod. It should be a joy to use. The Shakey range really is setting the bar for value for money at the moment. Unfortunately it won't have the right logo on it for some people!

SP8

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    There doesn't seem to be a lot wrong with that rod. It should be a joy to use. The Shakey range really is setting the bar for value for money at the moment.
    SP8
    It is a joy to use and they sure are setting the bar

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    Unfortunately it won't have the right logo on it for some people!

SP8
    Oh really

Perhaps Shakey should put their Hardy brand logo on the rod, take out pages of expensive adverts and charge 899, they do after all own Hardy

Come to think of it these rods are Hardys or is it that Hardy rods are now actually Shakespeare rods

I will be in the market for a switch rod later in the year and this is on my list. The only thing that's putting me off buying one is the number of sections. Does anyone know if it will be available in a 4 piece?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paulfish_1 View Post
    I will be in the market for a switch rod later in the year and this is on my list. The only thing that's putting me off buying one is the number of sections. Does anyone know if it will be available in a 4 piece?

Paul
    Dont know Paul, maybe one of the retailers on here will know. The 8/9 switch is due out this week according to Chris at Angling Active but I am more than happy with the 7/8 version and the 6 piece construction does not affect the action as far as I can tell.

Just bought the 8/9 rod has anyone tried one yet and could recommend a line to go with it. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Leec View Post
    Just bought the 8/9 rod has anyone tried one yet and could recommend a line to go with it. Cheers
    I am very interested in the 8/9 for a Michigan salmon/steelhead rod. Any feedback when you get a bit of use out of yours would be appreciated

I saw on another forum someone had bought a barrio switch line for the 7/8 rod so maybe the 8/9 barrio switch would be worth a look I fancy one of the rods but don't know whether to get the 7/8 or the 8/9

Was looking at bario lines. Aswel as airflo skagits.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast