Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Experience of broken Shakespeare Oracle 6 piece rods

I bought a 6 piece 13ft 9in Shakespeare Oracle rod for fishing in Russia this autumn following a recommendation. I have now heard that one supplier has had 70 out of 80 rods sold, returned with broken sections. Has anyone else heard anything about this? I have had three out of my last 4 rods broken during the first day or twos fishing, always when casting. Greys and Air-flo but always had replacement sections within a few days and the rods have since had plenty of experience without further breaks. Which goes to show that you need to try a new rod out for a few days, somewhere where you have a spare rod to hand.

Not heard that. I have had no problem with my 13' 9" exp, indeed it has landed salmon to over 20lbs and I will be taking it to Norway again in a couple of weeks. I like the rod so much I bought a backup second hand on here just in case I did break it while abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock View Post
    Not heard that. I have had no problem with my 13' 9" exp, indeed it has landed salmon to over 20lbs and I will be taking it to Norway again in a couple of weeks. I like the rod so much I bought a backup second hand on here just in case I did break it while abroad.
    As you are aware Jock, the trick is getting the line to match the rod
    Enjoy Norway with your Ghillie
    Last edited by Tyke777; 16-05-2018 at 08:48 PM.
    If You want to test the depth of water...... dont use both feet!!Hidden Content

My 4 piece oracle scandi broke whilst casting first time out. It was replaced without question and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

My Oracle Switch broke on the first day, but Norris replaced without question, and said it was the first they had had back with a breakage!

Oscar.

My dads switch rod broke first day out and was replaced no problems since and has even caught fish!

John norris stated that they have less returns on Shakeys (broken rods)...says something about the quality of the blanks

Broke my 13’9” Scandi (no 2 section) a couple of days ago landing my first ever salmon. Wasn’t the rod’s fault as I put it into an impossible angle trying to net the fish in fast water whilst fishing alone. In hindsight I should have walked it back to the bank and beached it. Clean break 3” above the joint.

Lovely rod with an #8/9 AFS, it handled the fish really well, up to the net, and I shall certainly be replacing the section.

Last edited by John Keane; 23-05-2018 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fly guy View Post
    John norris stated that they have less returns on Shakeys (broken rods)...says something about the quality of the blanks
    Or they’re cheap so people don’t bother returning them as they would with an expensive rod. Just saying!

My 4 piece switch snapped at the base ...is a first with a rod for me. Took it back to the shop and he had one going back with the tip broken so did a swap , sadly a cow totally destroyed two sections on what was a good rod that had even caught me a couple of fish a few months later when I stupidly left it in a rod rack in a Feild.
    Replaced it with the skagit version as I felt the switch a little too light with heavier lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast