Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Another Oracle switch question???

Hi guys, I have the Oracle switch 7/8 4 piece, which I absolutely love, but I just can't find any information on what the "Skagit" line weight window is for this rod. I've tried the Airflo Skagit Switch(450grain) but this feels heavy and I can't lift more than type 8 tips with it. I also have a Rio Skagit max short(325grain) this is more useful but still tops at type 8 tips, and feels more like a skandi line in use. But I really want to find a truly effective Skagit line for the rod, not interested in a switch line as I won't be overhead casting this rod. So does anyone know what the dedicated Skagit line window is? Before I cough up another 80-100 on a new line!

I think the problem lies with the fact that it's a 7/8 wt switch rod designed for light work on small rivers & probably designed for not more than about 390 grains (give or take).
    A line of this weight probably will max out with a type 8 tip, which is still pretty aggressive, but if you want to chuck 12 to 15 ft of T17 then you probably need to up-grade to a 540 grain + head - & an appropriate rod which is rated to throw it; 600+ grains & it starts getting easy.

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    I think the problem lies with the fact that it's a 7/8 wt switch rod designed for light work on small rivers & probably designed for not more than about 390 grains (give or take).
    A line of this weight probably will max out with a type 8 tip, which is still pretty aggressive, but if you want to chuck 12 to 15 ft of T17 then you probably need to up-grade to a 540 grain + head - & an appropriate rod which is rated to throw it; 600+ grains & it starts getting easy.

Regards, Tyke.
    Yeah I have a 8/9 13ft delta Spey for the big stuff, the Oracle is my light Skagit for trout, I mostly use the 325 Río maxshort, and poly leaders, but its just doesn't have the oomph for windy days, and I'm looking for a line weight to use on those occasions. Hence my question with regards the grain weight window when using Skagit lines.

Quote Originally Posted by NZkingchaser View Post
    Hi guys, I have the Oracle switch 7/8 4 piece, which I absolutely love, but I just can't find any information on what the "Skagit" line weight window is for this rod. I've tried the Airflo Skagit Switch(450grain) but this feels heavy and I can't lift more than type 8 tips with it. I also have a Rio Skagit max short(325grain) this is more useful but still tops at type 8 tips, and feels more like a skandi line in use. But I really want to find a truly effective Skagit line for the rod, not interested in a switch line as I won't be overhead casting this rod. So does anyone know what the dedicated Skagit line window is? Before I cough up another 80-100 on a new line!
    Hi buddy i use the shaky switch 7/8 6piece a lot and have thrown 8ft of T11 on the end of an Airflo Rage 360gr head easily,i would suggest a true skagit head weight of 390/420gr would cast 10ft T14 easily with your rod
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Hi buddy i use the shaky switch 7/8 6piece a lot and have thrown 8ft of T11 on the end of an Airflo Rage 360gr head easily,i would suggest a true skagit head weight of 390/420gr would cast 10ft T14 easily with your rod
    Thankyou, yeah thought 350-400 grains was in the money for the 7/8, even though Airflo reckons a 7/8 is going to throw 450grn, I found it just doesn't want to turn over more than 10ft t8, and I don't want to snap the rod trying to! As I use it for searun brown, and the small searun rainbows, in the big rivers, its mainly just my fun rod. But its totally over powered casting a 325grn head, looks like I need to get 2lines, a 350, and 400, should be sorted!

According to this chart, your rod is not designed to handle skagits at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images capture-jpg 
    Last edited by Finnjoki; 13-03-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnjoki View Post
    According to this chart, your rod is not designed to handle skagits at all.
    According to the chart Any rod can cast Skagit, take the Olympic peninsula skagit tactics lines and you can Skagit cast a 7"9' 6weight(and I do regularly, to 55ft! If needed) Skagit cast is just a style of cast you just need to find the line that balances the rods action, just like skandi, just like Spey, just like overhead. I have seen that table, was a little mifted they haven't bothered to work out the Skagit line weights for the switch rods, they are no different than any other two handed rods IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by NZkingchaser View Post
    According to the chart Any rod can cast Skagit, take the Olympic peninsula skagit tactics lines and you can Skagit cast a 7"9' 6weight(and I do regularly, to 55ft! If needed) Skagit cast is just a style of cast you just need to find the line that balances the rods action, just like skandi, just like Spey, just like overhead. I have seen that table, was a little mifted they haven't bothered to work out the Skagit line weights for the switch rods, they are no different than any other two handed rods IMHO

I would agree that any fly rod is capable of casting a skagit line given the correct weight class and proper technique,some rod will be better suited than others though
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!