Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shakespeare Agility 2

I was lookin for a new 9'6" to use on my local spate river and came across these
    The 9ft6 and above models are supplied with a removable fighting butt and there is an additional 4 inch extension handle supplied
    I've not tried the agility rods but if they're as good as the double handers they could be good value for around 50
    Last edited by Allt graad; 14-11-2016 at 07:56 AM.

Has anybody had a hands on with these rods? Any improvement on the previous model? Thinking of an 11ftr for brownies out of the boat.

All I can contribute is that I tried ordering a 10 ft #5 from Angus Angling and Angling Active and both reported that the 10ft #5 does not have a fighting butt.
    As it is for reservoir trouting I bit the bullet and bought at sale price, but for heavier stuff just make sure that you do get a fighting butt before parting with any beer vouchers.

Yeah it looks like only the 10 and 11 footers 6 weight and above come with the short and long butt.

I got the 9'6" 7# and it came with the 4" extention handle
    I haven't had a chance to use it yet

Quote Originally Posted by Allt graad View Post
    I got the 9'6" 7# and it came with the 4" extention handle
    I haven't had a chance to use it yet
    I stand corrected!
    Last edited by bkupris; 16-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.

The 9' 6" rods 6wt and above also come with the two extension handle options. I was casting a friends just the other week and it was great.

Default Comparison

Took delivery of a 11' 6#. This is with the long butt attached next to my Shaky 11' 7/8# switch rod. Note the switch rods much longer full wells handle. Not sure the Agility 2 would be great as a switch rod but would work in a pinch for the occasional spey cast.

rod-long-jpg

Here it is with the short butt, the way I intend to use it. Tried a bunch of different lines on it on the grass at the local football pitch and for short lining out of a boat for brownies a WF 7# seemed about right. I don't mind the finish, kind of a silvery grey blue with very light blue whippings. Decent cork. Feels plenty power full for a 6# but won't feel like a poker for smaller fish. Top half of the rod is soft enough to give them a chance.

rod1-short-jpg
    Last edited by bkupris; 20-01-2017 at 02:44 PM.

Default Stripper ring " problem "

Bought an Agility 2 11foot 6weight . Thought it would be perfect for my sea trout fishing where there is a steep bank behind , and , seeing that I tend to use small flies , a six weight fitted the bill . What a lovely rod , casts well and has landed a few small sea trout and a grilse of about 4lbs . However , the stripper ring seems to be a problem especially when stripping quite aggressively with the line pulled out almost at right angles . The line ( supplied by John Norris with the rod) seems to " whistle " gently and even scrape and seems rough after only a few outings . I have read reviews saying that these fly lines wear out after a season and I'm sure that this is down to the stripper rings . Thought at first there might be a tiny crack in the lining but there isn't . I think it's because the guide lining is very " square " in cross section rather than rounded . Two questions , 1. Has anyone else found this ? 2. What would be the best guide to use as a replacement ? Many thanks , Paul .

I have the same rod, just checked the stripper ceramic ring. It is rounded off and not square? Maybe you got a bad one?

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast