Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Skagit

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
    Update: Ready for the early season big water, just received one of these in the post (as recommended by Rennie/Pedro on here :-) )

Maxcatch Skagit Shooting Head Fly Line 200GR-650GR 17FT-25FT with 2 Welded Loops: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

Got mine from eBay £13.00 delivered from China (......sorry Rio )

Chose the 650gr as that's what's recommended for my "other" rod 14ft #9, but will try to chuck it on the Shakey first, see how it goes.....
    At that price I,ve got to order one thanks for sharing, perhaps you could advise? I have a jock montieth multi tip would the tips of that be ok on maxcatch line?
    there's 10 and 15 ft tips
    Thanks a lot Al

Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    At that price I,ve got to order one thanks for sharing, perhaps you could advise? I have a jock montieth multi tip would the tips of that be ok on maxcatch line?
    there's 10 and 15 ft tips
    Thanks a lot Al
    Yes your 10/15ft multi tips will work with the skagit head
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Will adding a 10 or 15ft tip to a skagit line make it fish more line a scandi. Or are they always going to be splashy compared to a scandi or Spey line?
    This question is most likely an indicator of my limited knowledge on salmon lines, thanks for your patience chaps.
    Al

Eta
    Noeyedeer what is your opinion on the quality of that maxcatch line, does it compare to a mid market line?
    Thanks Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 07-12-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Speytime,adding a 15ft multi tip(of any make from any line) will make a heavier skagit line that bit heavier!,it won't behave like a scandi type of line(it'll cast and be fishable though!).If thats what your looking for then simply buy a Multi tip Scandi line.If value for money is an issue(very sensible!) then look on Scandinavian Flylines web site,their multi tips are very reasonable cost wise.
    I'd only(thats purely personal though) consider a Skagit line for when I'm looking to fish with heavy sinking tips and bigger weighted tube fly's.
    Now there's another option for you,If as I suspect your looking for a line thats very easy to cast, try an Airflo rage.That'll handle poly tips no problem at all and will cast like a missile, not as heavy and "clumsy" as a Skagit but a bit more "robust" than a Scandi line.You can fish your multi tips off a Rage,but you have to adjust the size/weight of Rage you buy so when you factor in the weight of the tips it is within the rods castable weight.Just ask on here and I or any one else can work that out for you!
    The Max catch Skagits are very good lines and if your looking for value for money certainly deliver as do the Scandinavian Fly lines lines-Multi tips,Skagits and Scandi heads(I've got some of each!).
    One more thought in that if you want your intended line to behave in a scandi fashion, the Rio Scandi body is available, which is a body and no tips,It'll handle your Monteith tips no problem at all and any other tip you care to put on to boot.It will also handle up to 15ft of T14 if you want/have to get down.
    Few options for you there,all of them perfectly feasible to give you a good fishing set up.Just depends on what you want/need and indeed how much cash you want to splash.
    Happy to help any time.Pedro.

Will adding a 10 or 15ft tip to a skagit line make it fish more line a scandi. Or are they always going to be splashy compared to a scandi or Spey line?
    This question is most likely an indicator of my limited knowledge on salmon lines, thanks for your patience chaps.
    Al

Eta
    Noeyedeer what is your opinion on the quality of that maxcatch line, does it compare to a mid market line?
    Thanks Al
    Iím no expert Speytime but I think in terms of finesse the sequence for shooting heads goes: Scandi / Rage / Skagit.

Not tried the Maxcatch yet and still getting my head around the info on here about cheaters etc linked with T stuff.
    Quality looks ok though I havenít had it out the packet yet, possibly a bit softer line surface than eg a Rio but truth will be in the testing....

Edit: My Post crossed with Rennie (Pedro) (who's advice I followed in getting the Maxcatch) - I think he has covered everything you'll need to know !
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 07-12-2017 at 02:56 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the advice chaps it looks like it's a scandi that I,m really after, ive looked at the Rio scandi body £50? definitely a possibility?

At £15 quid for that skagit I,ll take one just to try it, between my airflow quick Spey the Rio scandi and the maxcatch skagit I should be covered for most situations.

I,m thinking about getting that airflow salmon and salt water running line for the maxcatch line, It,s 0.9mm diameter would that be suitable
    Alternatively I,ve thought about taking the running line ( (of a 40+ line, it only cost me a tenner and I,m not that keen on it anyway.
    The advice is much appreciated thanks everyone Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 07-12-2017 at 06:34 PM.

The airflo atlantic salmon running line is as good as any

Default Rio body?

Can anyone tell me if the Rio scandi body is the same as the versitip body, can they bey cast without a tip or are they designed to work with versitips.
    Thanks Al

Can anyone tell me if the Rio scandi body is the same as the versitip body, can they bey cast without a tip or are they designed to work with versitips.
    Thanks Al
    The versitip body you describe is 23ft long if the scandi body you refer too is 23ft long then its 1 of the same,they are designed to be cast with tips (versi tips or t material in various lengths)

Second that DexterB.,indeed the Scandi body and Versi tip body are the same thing and are designed to be cast with muti tip type of tips(the usual 15ft jobs from any manufacturer) and T material of reasonable weight/length(I've been told up to 15ft of T14 is do able)For shorter rods you can go the way of Rio's 10ft tips-these are not poly tips I hasten to add, but shorter 10ft multi tips.
    You can of course add a suitable poly tip to the end of any the multi tip's, in fact the line will cast and present a lot better if you do that!.
    Pedro.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast