Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Turning points

Default Turning points

Scene.... night fishing on small river west of Ireland.
    Many nights at a certain point just below a small bend
    I have taken up to 6 sea trout one after another without
    moving my feet. 1 landed, usual splashing, 3 casts later No.2 on and so
    on.
    What do readers thing about the theory of night time fish roaming
    and clear turning points?
    Know at least 1 writer has talked about this.
    Theory fits this one spot, just wish I could work out how to recognise
    other turning spots if there is such magic places!
    Anybody got any ideas??

Hmm not sure, but i do know there are spots on my home river the Tywi where if i see a fish jump, there's a chance its a taker, and there are other spots where i see fish jump, and for whatever reason, it wont take!
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

I don't have a real theory on this so to speak. But there are definatly points on certain stretchs where, as you say, you could stand in one place and hit trout all night ( provided there are trout there).
    There is a long pool of dead water below a weir on our local (Roe, Foyle system) about 20metes below it there is sand bar that drops off into the river and the trout seem to steam their way up the pool and stop here. Mid river. You could keep on the sand bar and catch trout all night as they seem just like it there (unfortunaly it is one of the worst kept secrets on the Roe and end up like times square on a cloudy friday night in july) I think any obstacle, be it a weir in this case or fishpass/ falls will keep the trout back to possibly regain a bit of energy to tackle the obstruction. In the place I speak of I think this is partly the reason they stop here, this and also the fact that this pool is perfect for the trout to spawn in and many hundereds of them wont leave it as it is quite a way up the system.
    There is not only one of these spots on every river, keep yours a secret mate!

Also apparently there is a great book out called "Nomads of the Sea" from what I know it was a group of great sea trout anglers who traveled around the rivers of Ireland in search of sea trout. They actually visited the exact spot I mentioned above on the Roe and were quite sucessful on it. I'm yet to get my grubby hands on a copy but there should be something in it i would guess that will give you a much clearer theory on the subject.
    I hope there is free fishing in the afterlife..

Sorry, Its actually "Nomads of the Tides"

Here's a link if your interested

Nomads of the Tides: Fresh- and Saltwater Fishing for Irish Sea-Trout
    I hope there is free fishing in the afterlife..

I've found the same with sea trout in salt water. Wading at low tides has shown me depressions and bars in the sand but fish will turn up regularly on one spot and not at all 100 yrds down. You see them leaping clear everywhere, just not taking flies. Obviously the fish see something I cant and I now concentrate my efforts in the productive spots and only give the dead areas the occasional cast. Though I still make sure I fish these areas every trip, you never know!
    Another odd thing is the dead areas to seatrout are easy pickings for juvenile pollack and coalies to small flies. Many of these fish are bait size and I did spend a time with large minnow profile flies to see if the trout were fixed to this bait but still no knocks.