Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Snake fly, step by step.

Here is a step by step for a fly i really like to use, and do very well on for sewin/sea trout, salmon and bass.

Here are the bit's for the job.

First thread mono back within it's self, like this with darning needle.

Both ends threaded. here i have used size 14 swivel and size 6 treble, you can use single and doubles hooks also.

Here are both ends pulled tight, and the tools you can use.

Here the braid has a small touch of super glue, dont put a lot on this braid as the glue will run up though braid. and will make it stiff when dry, you do want a flexi mount for this fly.

Now pull mount into shrink tube size 2.2mm. using a size 6 treble you will have to put a small amount of good old spit to pull over eye.

Here the shrink tube is on mount, make sure the tube ends on barrel of swivel. the long tool is for carp fishing baiting tool.

Here the shrink tube has been steamed with kettle, and is tight on mount and unshrunk 2.2mm tube.

Now place hook in vice, and add flash if need be.

Here i have put mylar tube over mount, and opened weave to give extra flash if you need it.

Here mount is finished, note i have a few turns behind barrel of swivel. by doing this you can get a small head when tying in wing.

I have put three coats of Sally Hanson's mega shine.

Here are a few mount i have done, i tie some with loops at the head. as some of my customers like them this way so that they can add cone's to the. for fast or deep water.

Here a tip for those who don't have many colors of mylar, if you use pearl mylar and colored braid the color will show though the pearl and i find it does glow nice in the water. if you use white braid and high lighter pens you do the same thing.

Now you have to take the mount out of vice, and tie wing in hand. this is what tiers find hard, but practice and it will come to you.

And here is the finished fly, have tied in some cheeks of amherst neck feather and some jungle cock.

And this is the hair i like to use, MARBLE FOX.

Hope this helps the guys looking for a step by step.

Dai
    Last edited by daijones; 27-12-2008 at 03:20 AM.

Default Very well done!

Quick question though: there's a tool shown in some of the photo's that the head end looks like the number '2.' What is it, and what's it used for?

fae

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Quick question though: there's a tool shown in some of the photo's that the head end looks like the number '2.' What is it, and what's it used for?

fae
    Hi FE, i think you are asking about tools in photo 7 from top. the top tool is used for baiting up in carp fishing called a boillie needle and the bottom one is a braid threader used for this job, hope this answer helps. but if not just ask again.

Fred know you live in the states, and you my not have them out there. i am a consultant for the company that makes them. so if you want to get hold of them and cant get them in the states let me know and i will send you a set FOC.

Dai
    Last edited by daijones; 27-12-2008 at 02:38 PM.

Thumbs up Dia, that is MOST KIND of you!

I'll send you a PM with my address here in Oregon.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    I'll send you a PM with my address here in Oregon.

Fred
    Fred, if we cant help each other whats the point, will post off to you Monday,

Dai

Thumbs up Many thanks in advance!

PM with address sent.

Part that's interesting is I was on a link (UK based fishing "E-tailer" and clicked on the link that listed the brand names they carried. Never heard of half of them!!

Fred

very good SBS Dai, thanks for taking the time to show us how to tie them

that's also a serious collection of fox
    so much fishing, so little time

<a href="Hidden Content style="text-decoration:underline;">Andrew - Loop Akademi Fly Dresser</a>

Default Sea-trout

It may be worth pointing out to our American friends that our sea-trout is an entirely different creature from what they call a sea-trout. If they look up salmo trutta in Google they will see the fish that migrates from the sea up our rivers. It is a beautiful creature found all over the North Atlantic which normally does not migrate anything like the distance undertaken by Atlantic salmon. It is an extremely shy creature in a river and it is often best to fish for them through the night. The advent of salmon farming has had a disastrous effect on our native stocks of this wonderful creature on the west coast of Scotland, and probably Ireland as well. This snake fly is a wonderful pattern but I often feel that there is a prize waiting for the guy that designs one with a hook nearer the head, where the fish attacks the lure.

Quote Originally Posted by Invermarnoch View Post
    It may be worth pointing out to our American friends that our sea-trout is an entirely different creature from what they call a sea-trout. If they look up salmo trutta in Google they will see the fish that migrates from the sea up our rivers. It is a beautiful creature found all over the North Atlantic which normally does not migrate anything like the distance undertaken by Atlantic salmon. It is an extremely shy creature in a river and it is often best to fish for them through the night. The advent of salmon farming has had a disastrous effect on our native stocks of this wonderful creature on the west coast of Scotland, and probably Ireland as well. This snake fly is a wonderful pattern but I often feel that there is a prize waiting for the guy that designs one with a hook nearer the head, where the fish attacks the lure.
    Hi IM, Thanks for comments on snake fly, yes i also have one with a hook at the head of the fly. i also know that the sea trout and bass do have a go at sandeel at the head. It is a great pattern to use and does catch a lot of fish not just sea trout but i use it a lot for bass as well. soon as i can will post the snake fly with two hooks.

Dai

Invermarnoch, Sorry in so long in posting this photo of the way i make up the double hook snake, but the truth is i forgot it. till a customer ordering some snakes and saying he would like some in stoat colors,anyway here is a photo of a black stoat double hook snake.

Dai

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast