Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting started

Default Getting started

New section so new thread, like my memory use it or lose .
    Not done any fly fishing for sea trout yet but hope to get some chance this year.
    First question-Is it possible to start with day time as opposed to night fishing ? I have read books which all tell me otherwise.
    Tackle required ? I have a 10' 7# Orvis Western (not 2) with large arbor reel and spools with 7 & 8 floaters,ints and slow sinkers.
    Will that be OK to start with? What about leaders, assuming wet flies assume straight mono/flouro of ?lbs
    any one got the dummies guide or common sense ideas i have missed or misunderstood?
    Any comments greatly received.

regards
    Gerry

Seems like a prety good setup to start with. I am no expert but I usually start with a floater and a couple of doubles or singles on 6 to 10lb line and then change to a slow sink or sink tip with a tube or waddy after 1am ish. The fish tend to go quiet arround this time and the bigger fly fished deeper seems to get more response.

Wake lures are well worth a try too and can provide some very exciting sport.

As to when to start fishing thats upto the individual. I usually wait until the bats are out but if i have an early start the next day I may start fishing sooner. Just as in salmon fishing you wont catch anything if your fly is not in the water.

Rod and lines sound right

breaking strain..depends on what size the trout are going to be

as for getting started..Read Faulkus Sea Trout cant go far wrong its all in there.

As for starting at night or during the day

Had better success at night with the fly but i only fished stretches of the river i knew like the back of my hand from day time fishing for salmon.

So my advice is fish at night but do a day time recce!!!!
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Smile

seatrout can be taken in the day if the water is colored and higher than normal use small colorfull flies /tubes, 8lb leader is fine / easier to catch under the cover of night though your tackle sounds fine for night time fishing i wouldnt use a leader of less than 15 lb they are not leader shy , , but dont start untill you cant see your hand infront of your face , dont wade if you dont have to and fish the inside [shallow ] water first then fish further out as you go on , that way you wont frighten the fish which will come into the shallows as it goes dark . last bit of info would be fish the heads and tails of the pools first then fish the main body after 1pm thats when the bigger fish usually lie deep hope thats not to confusing

Quote Originally Posted by gerry atric View Post
    Tackle required ? I have a 10' 7# Orvis Western (not 2) with large arbor reel and spools with 7 & 8 floaters,ints and slow sinkers.
    Will that be OK to start with?
    regards
    Gerry
    One of the nicest rods ever made IMHO, light with a powerful through action so sinking lines are no problem but delicate enough to fish small flies and perfect for night fishing as its not too tippy. Will be an excellent rod to start out with and will probably take an #8 too
    salmonfishing forum.com

Used to own one of the original westerns and it was a do it all rod as Splash says and while never used it for sea trout I think it would be perfect.

On the Lune, have always used 10ft Daiwa rod, 7/8 floating line, 8lbs leader and double hook flies. Wade very quietly if you must!! In June, usually look to start around 10.30pm, maybe 10 mins earlier if cloudy and no sun glow.
    Last edited by mcminnow; 09-04-2008 at 11:48 PM.

All good advice above, not much to add

Default Thanks

Thanks for the responses but my one question is, will it be a waste of time flyfishing for sea trout during daylight or do I have to be extra cautious/quiet ?
    Gerry

Quote Originally Posted by gerry atric View Post
    Thanks for the responses but my one question is, will it be a waste of time flyfishing for sea trout during daylight or do I have to be extra cautious/quiet ?
    Gerry

This is covered under "peat stain at night" on this sea trout fishing thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast