Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I hear you Walleye but I just can't get motivated to fish for sea trout.

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote in 2018 on Sea trout...

Fly & Clay: Auld Trout...
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockiescott View Post
    I hear you Walleye but I just can't get motivated to fish for sea trout.

Here is a link to a blog post I wrote in 2018 on Sea trout...

Fly & Clay: Auld Trout...
    Aye, I get that for sure. Maybe it's because on the Wear I would consider a 3lber to be small, certainly slightly below average size. I didn't catch many last year but they were all about 2.5 - 3lb - the lowest average I've ever had in a season by quite a bit. Many others did much better.

On 2-3 occasions, my biggest fish of the season has been a Wear sea trout.

Your river looks and sounds very lovely. Lucky guy.

When in Rome...

PS there is a sister site to this one dedicated to sea trout fishing. Not as busy as 5-10 years ago when we had a lot of great contributors but still a good source of inspiration in the historical threads...

Also very quiet!
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Aye, I get that for sure. Maybe it's because on the Wear I would consider a 3lber to be small, certainly slightly below average size. I didn't catch many last year but they were all about 2.5 - 3lb - the lowest average I've ever had in a season by quite a bit. Many others did much better.

On 2-3 occasions, my biggest fish of the season has been a Wear sea trout.

Your river looks and sounds very lovely. Lucky guy.
    Decent seatrout are great fun as they seem to try every trick in the book from looking for snags to dive into to charging straight at you. Had a decent one last season and it had me tied up in my fly line after spotting the net, shooting around the side and straight behind me back upstream leaving me spinning around trying to get myself free. All while laughing my head off as id been well and truely outsmarted by a fish. We get some really big ones on the coquet too with doubles most years and 2 over 14 llb a couple of years back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I am there on Sea Trout Forum but don't post much. I do read the old posts though. Thanks for reminding me to go back and look up more topics

When you're here Christchurch Harbour is at the mouth of both the Hampshire Avon and the Dorset Stour. Sea Trout are caught in daylight often. Even better you can fish at night too.
    16 for 24hrs. Not the heaviest fish but still reasonable sizes. Not fly only either and lots of other fish, Bass, Mullet, and Salmon although Salmon are very rare captures there in the harbour. Not so much the others.
    If you'd like a day on the Avon I could probably arrange it for about a tenner. Shrimp /prawn after June 16th which is the most effective method. Spinning 15th of May onwards.
    Season ends 31st August.

Im from Denmark and i think the fishing after sea trout is about the same here.
    In the summer its best to fish after the sea trout in the dark hours or just when the sun go down or up.
    In these months (feb, marts, april) the best fishing is when the waters start to get warmer from the sun - so yes, daylight fishing is very good now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123