Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  69
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default day time sea trout

as above title im looking to see what you sea trouters out there pick out fly wise during the daylight hours
    im no expert night or day so looking to stock up an empty fly box with your suggestions
    pics more than welcome
    craig
    It's too high, its too low, its too windy, there's nae fish al no be back...... Till tomorrow

Assuming you are talking about clear-ish water; Thomson terror, nymphy type things, anything small and black, possibly with a fluorescent tail if there's a bit of colour. If the water is up then small salmon flies.

good luck, not easy in the day...

Small silver stoats

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Upstream nymph.
    PTN , hare's ear ............that sort of thing
    Various sizes , with and without tungsten beads.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Upstream nymph.
    PTN , hare's ear ............that sort of thing
    Various sizes , with and without tungsten beads.
    ill need to polish up my techniques for that take it its cast upstream and keep in touch with the line, obviously more to it than that but the right idea in general terms.
    It's too high, its too low, its too windy, there's nae fish al no be back...... Till tomorrow

When I was alive I loved daytime peal fishing (days were for fishing, nights were for women). In Cornwall the peal and grilse were obsessed with sandeels; anything resembling a sandeel (or lance as we called them) would tempt the fish, which were plentiful in those days.
    Cast upstream and strip the fly back towards you with as little disturbance as possible. In those days it was "worm flies", i.e.. tandem singles. Now there are much better patterns, which I hope to try once I finally manage to shake of the bondage of necessary work.

Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    ill need to polish up my techniques for that take it its cast upstream and keep in touch with the line, obviously more to it than that but the right idea in general terms.
    I find dead drift ( no drag ) gives best results.
    Long tapered leader down to as low a breaking strain as you can get away with without being snapped at the drop of a hat.

I'll either use a dry flee suitable to support the weight of the nymph you're using ala Duo or one of these as an indicator.

https://www.strikeindicator.com/

I normally use a 9' #4 rod , but you could arguably get away with something a little heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    I find dead drift ( no drag ) gives best results.
    Long tapered leader down to as low a breaking strain as you can get away with without being snapped at the drop of a hat.

I'll either use a dry flee suitable to support the weight of the nymph you're using ala Duo or one of these as an indicator.

https://www.strikeindicator.com/

I normally use a 9' #4 rod , but you could arguably get away with something a little heavier.
    Wildfisher website have this link showing how to make a similar strike indicator. I have made one, not yet used.
    The Ferris Nymphing Indicator Tool

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    Small silver stoats

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Cant get better than that clear water from Mid may to mid August SS every time for salmon and sea-trout.image-jpg

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast