Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: River Forth

Default River Forth

Read a wee article in the Stirling Observer the other day, regarding the Dykes and the Trap on the Forth. Just a bit of history on how the Trap was used to harvest salmon many years ago. It also stated that in Mediaeval times, Stirling was one of the biggest salmon producers in Europe. Now there's a throwback for ye!!!. Happy and successful New year to all Forth and Teith fishers for 2020. 🐟🐟

Quote Originally Posted by Bigroger View Post
    Read a wee article in the Stirling Observer the other day, regarding the Dykes and the Trap on the Forth. Just a bit of history on how the Trap was used to harvest salmon many years ago. It also stated that in Mediaeval times, Stirling was one of the biggest salmon producers in Europe. Now there's a throwback for ye!!!. Happy and successful New year to all Forth and Teith fishers for 2020. 🐟🐟
    When I managed the fishery one project was to construct The Forth Trail, which runs from Forthside to Dobbies. Along the trail there are several interpretation boards which tells various stories about the Forth. The history of the river is quite astonishing and the trail is well worth a visit. At one time 1000 tonne ships moored at the old harbour where salmon were loaded for export. This gives you an idea of the numbers of fish that ascended the river in those times.
    The trail really is a great walk and if you get the chance it's well worth doing either on foot or on bike. There's always something to see in terms of wildlife.
    DJ

What's pretty sad is while walking part of the Forth Trail wae ma wee dug, for most of the season last year, I hardly saw a soul fishing the Piers on the other side. Gone are the days when, right from opening day, fishers would out, with a real chance of a clean fish. Seen some absolute belters caught from the mouth of the Allan, down to the Cleekum, especially in the 80's. They're just not there anymore, I suppose. Very sad.