Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  146
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: North esk 2020

Default North esk 2020

Well 2019 seemed to be a reasonable year. Probably partly with the removal of the nets. There certainly seemed to be a lot of grilse on the Westie. There seemed to be a decent run of spring fish, but disease was pretty bad and because there also seemed to be a lot of fish suffering from the inflamed under belly disease as well. The disease was still visible in fish in late June. The seatrout seemed vulnerable to the underbelly disease as well. Every year there is an odd diseased seatrout but definitely a lot more this year. Normally its clearing up by mid April. Summer had schools of grilse running some days. There was an excellent video of Morphie, where the fish, big and small were going over the gravel bar in 4 to 6 inches. I wasnt here for the autumn run so cant really comment, but anecdotally there didn't seem to be a lot if fish turn up. Again, I wasnt around during the main spawning time see if there was plenty fish, but I did have a walk down Big Gannochy on Tuesday and to my surprise there was a cock fish of 15 to 20lb, a hen fish of well over 20 and a smaller fish of about 6lb, fighting and doing the business. When we finally see the counter numbers we will see what actually ran the river this year.
    Balmcewan was sold this year. Hopefully theres no change to the fishing.
    Hopefully I get sometime on the river this year.
    Here's to a great 2020 season.

Cheers

Mows

Well morphie seemed to benefit anyway with a fifty fish increase from 2018. So will be interesting to see how the rest of the river faired.

_20191221_142315-jpg

Some pics from my walk along the river today.
    Only saw a couple of dead kelts.

20191221_140802-jpg20191221_134203-jpg20191221_141805-jpg

Middle picture looks an absolute belter of a pool to fish , could see myself spending a full day in that pool working down every inch of it with a tube fly then swapping for the spinning rod and a devon minnow or a vision 110. Fished the North Esk 3 x times and had a bend in the rod each time (2 x salmon + 1 kelt) it is a nice size river where you leave a pool and feel you have covered every inch and if there was 1 there you have covered him. Good luck for 2020 MOWS and to all other North Esk regular rods.

I'm easily confused by the river names, is this 'esk' in any way associated with one known as the Broder esk?

I had a guest here fishing this fall who fishes Broder Esk and I'm planning to travel to your country (UK) in 2020. I've a few venues lined up and the man who was here wants me to come to Cumbia to fish the Border Esk with him.

The pictures of the river shown are attractive and made me curious if it might be the same river.

Thanks,

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    I'm easily confused by the river names, is this 'esk' in any way associated with one known as the Broder esk?

I had a guest here fishing this fall who fishes Broder Esk and I'm planning to travel to your country (UK) in 2020. I've a few venues lined up and the man who was here wants me to come to Cumbia to fish the Border Esk with him.

The pictures of the river shown are attractive and made me curious if it might be the same river.

Thanks,

Ard
    Different rivers Admin man, North Esk enters the North sea around Brechin and flows West to East coast. Border Esk flows North to South then enters the Solway Firth.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieL View Post
    Middle picture looks an absolute belter of a pool to fish , could see myself spending a full day in that pool working down every inch of it with a tube fly then swapping for the spinning rod and a devon minnow or a vision 110. Fished the North Esk 3 x times and had a bend in the rod each time (2 x salmon + 1 kelt) it is a nice size river where you leave a pool and feel you have covered every inch and if there was 1 there you have covered him. Good luck for 2020 MOWS and to all other North Esk regular rods.
    It's a new pool Archie. Used to be a lot smaller with a couple of dubs below it. Recent floods have created it, so we will have to see how it fishes. I used to do ok in the old pool but most people ignored it. I think it could be a brilliant spring pool.
    The Northie does punch above its weight with some very good beats and pools, but it's still a spate river.
    The other pool is one of the better pools on the whole river.
    Cheers

Mows
    Last edited by mows; 22-12-2019 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Thanks,

Ard
    There are various Esks, as well as Usks and an Exe in the U.K.. they share w root name Eisca which is Celtic for a river full of fish. Sadly not always true these days!

Quote Originally Posted by mows View Post
    Some pics from my walk along the river today.
    Only saw a couple of dead kelts.

20191221_140802-jpg20191221_134203-jpg20191221_141805-jpg
    I wouldn't mind putting a Willie gunn through both them pools 🎣🎣

No, these are two different rivers. North Esk is some 35 miles south of Aberdeen.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast