Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  13

Default Recommendations for early February

Hi all,
    Iím relatively new to Salmon fishing but an experienced trout fisherman. Iíve had a couple days on the North Esk and a day on the Camel, the former resulting in a fish.
    I will be visiting Scotland the first week of February accompanied by my single handed #8 & #10 fly rods and spinning rod.
    Could anyone recommend the best rivers/beats to fish this time of year?
    Thank you in advance,
    Dean.

Spring fishing in Scotland in February is about getting flies down and deep so i would not be using #8 #10 single handed rods if honest as i do not think you would be able to cover the likes of the Spey,Tay,Dee with these small rods. You would need a 13-15ft fly rod capable of casting and turning over a sink tip with a tube of different sink rates depending on where you are fishing. I would definitely bring your spinning rod and make sure you have plenty 15-20lb line on the reel. If you want to spin then you are probably looking at the River Tay and you are in with a chance of a fish in the lower beats in February however saying that Springs are getting warmer and fish are being caught regularly anywhere on the system from opening day on the Tay. Saying that i have caught a springer on Pert "North Esk" with a single handed fly rod however the river was very low in Late April.

I will also be fishing the Tay on the first week in February for a few days so if you wanted to meet up on a beat i could lend you a 15Ft fly outfit and flies, Life vest etc for the day. I tend to watch the weather then make my bookings a day or 2 before i go once i know the river will be in a good nick. Lots of availability this time of year so no point in booking in advance unless you want to fish a Saturday or with a larger group of friends. If you are new to the 15ft fly rods then it would be good to be on a beat where the Ghillie can take you out in the boat and get you casting without having to worry about wading or trees etc but also get a shot spinning from the Bank. Somewhere like the Stanley beats on the Tay "Catholes" or "Pitlochrie" as Bob would get you casting in a jiffy. Cargill beat on the Tay is another option and again the Ghillie Davy would get you out in the boat at some point during the day for a cast with the Fly and you would get to spin also from the bank. Both beats i have had a February springer from.

Be prepared for needle in haystack fishing at this time of year but it is magical being out on a big Scottish river in the spring on a crisp morning.

In February i'd recommend (in order of preference) Cairngorm, The Lecht, Glenshee, Glencoe or Nevis Range

dinnae gee me it a ken you tough highlanders are normally oot hammering the helmsdale in January in awe sorts oh silly weather.

The Carron is my preferred choice as it's 5 minutes away and isn't mobbed, realistically though at that time of the year it's just casting practice (fine if you don't have to pay for the priviledge but if you do then snowsports is definitely the wise choice)

The Carron must be stuffed with Kelts at that time of year ? Or do they slip out pretty soon after spawning seen they are so close to the salt on the Carron ?

I didn't come across many last spring but then we had a fair few floods so the belief is that they got washed downstream. I'd imagine most rivers would be stuffed with kelts in february though irrespective of their geographical location (with the exception of the Ness where the fish spawn much later than other rivers due to the loch)

My local River Forth used to stuffed with them until Seal's set up home and made hunts upstream every time there was a bit of water on.