Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  622
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ben-Macdui View Post
    Often used to wonder why the trout were so strong but we know now after tagging on the Deveron the big trout can move from the top to bottom of the river during the season in search of food. Don't take long for them to pile on the beef again either.

When they go they go
    Usually following the smolts downstream for a handy, body building snack!
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

It's only natural that the big trout would take a few smolts.
    The question is how many?
    Is predation by trout affecting Salmon stocks?

Donury

Broon troot and Salmon have lived together in the Don for a long time,but i do suspect if a big broonie is hungry it will take juvenile Salmon of all stages,but the economy of the Don relies on the trout fishers almost as much as Salmon fishers so we should respect them and they may even develop into Seatrout which we are more than happy to fish for and catch.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS View Post
    Broon troot and Salmon have lived together in the Don for a long time,but i do suspect if a big broonie is hungry it will take juvenile Salmon of all stages,but the economy of the Don relies on the trout fishers almost as much as Salmon fishers so we should respect them and they may even develop into Seatrout which we are more than happy to fish for and catch.
    Exactly this SOS

The Don is equally famed, and in many eyes greater, for its brown trout than salmon. When I think back over the years some of my most memorable catches have been big specimen brown trout caught as a by catch when targeting salmon. We are lucky to have these fish. Ive lost count on how many times Iíve said this over the years, but I must spend time fishing for them more. Itís just the lure of fly fishing for salmon is greater for me. Funny enough, specifically on the Don, I donít know if itís location or what but Iíve never been that successful for sea trout down the years. The smolts, I could set my watch to a date and a time in the season and to a specific pool where Iíd land many big browns at dusk over a period of a week or so, on streamers and sunrays. It then switches off. Itís the smolt run.

DCH
    Last edited by DonCurlyHorny; 09-11-2019 at 08:58 AM.

Yes,I agree with the last two posts.
    A summer without evening fishing for both Brown and Sea trout would be unthinkable for me.
    Probably best to accept that any smolt losses to trout are part of the natural cycle.

Donury

Quote Originally Posted by Donury View Post
    It's only natural that the big trout would take a few smolts.
    The question is how many?
    Is predation by trout affecting Salmon stocks?

Donury
    I was actually referring to the large brown trout that was tagged on the Deveron which migrated downstream to Banff at the same time as the smolt migration was taking place. After the smolts left it made it's way back to the Cabrach.

Of course browns are going to predate juvenile salmon just as they'll scoff up any of their own kind

The Don and Deveron are similar in that both have excellent brown trout stocks and can both offer up decent seatrout too (the latter historically being an excellent sea trout river).

Two seasons ago was really quite a good year for seatrout on the Don. As ever it's just a case of knowing where to target them.

This season there appeared to be far fewer finnock on the go than previous ones.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    I was actually referring to the large brown trout that was tagged on the Deveron which migrated downstream to Banff at the same time as the smolt migration was taking place. After the smolts left it made it's way back to the Cabrach.

Of course browns are going to predate juvenile salmon just as they'll scoff up any of their own kind

The Don and Deveron are similar in that both have excellent brown trout stocks and can both offer up decent seatrout too (the latter historically being an excellent sea trout river).

Two seasons ago was really quite a good year for seatrout on the Don. As ever it's just a case of knowing where to target them.

This season there appeared to be far fewer finnock on the go than previous ones.
    I also read that report on the Deveron Brown trout its amazing how far they travel to spawn in the head waters of small burns.
    I also think Fishing for Brown trout on a nice summers evening is a good way of introducing youngsters to fishing.

There was a interesting letter in the P and J a while back where the retired head keeper at Invercauld said one of the daftest things the Dee did years back was removing brown trout from the tributaries as it left only juvenile Salmon for the predators .
    Last edited by Ben-Macdui; 09-11-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Down the rapids?!
    It did that Oscar.
    Bill Cook

Another Donside hotel under massive refurbishment. Last time I passed the Forbes Arms the roof was stripped and getting re slated.. Could be a cracking place for the visiting Angler

Out trout fishing late Sept nae luck that day

south-waterside-1-jpg

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast