Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Default Salt water fishing in Mexico

Guys does anyone have any experience in fishing the flats in Mexico and the type of trip i may expect , I know absolutely nothing about this style of fishing. Apart from cost Im looking into all the hidden extra costs, rod , reel , lines, tippets , flies , clothing etc I have been told I need a 9ft 9# single hand and tropical line , If you could assist me in any way, or pass on your own experiences its would be appreciated,
    Last edited by phatagrova; 21-10-2019 at 06:49 PM.

I've fished out of Punta Allen for 9 days in april with guide and two rods per boat. Used 6,7 &8 weight for bonefish 9&10 for permit and tarpon. Brilliant fun an 8 weight is plenty for the bonefish which don't get that big if you take two rods then #7&9 Flies usual crazy charlies/gotchas in size 6&8.

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

Forgot to say I also took a #6 weight and used that on the last day as finally according to the guides conditions were perfect- ie blue sky a bit warmer no clouds and light breeze - fishing skinny water wading knee to ankle depth I had 20+ fish sight fished to1.5- 3.5lb in a morning and was thankful it had been harder during the week! One other tip don't take more than four rods per person otherwise you get taxed as I did caused huge mirth with my companions and family back home. I was staying at club grand slam - run by an American chap Greg and his Mexican wife maybe not as plush as some but food was exceptional, beer was cheap and the guides knew their stuff. Road to Punta Allen from Cancun was hell but think it may have been upgraded (hopefully)

Tight lines

Richard

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

You certainly donít need a 9wt for Ascension bay bonefish. If I was going there again Iíd take a 7 for the bones and a 9 or a 10 for the permit, barracuda small tarpon and snook.

Take decent reels with plenty of backing (30lb Dacron or 65lb GSP) 150m for bones, 200 plus for other species. All fly lines need to be tropical style. Airflo are cheaper than most and they work just fine. It might be worth taking an extra intermediate line for the tarpon rod.

Bonefish flies are easy (most important thing is the weight relative to the depth of water ) but you should take a selection of permit flies if you plan to target them.

Otherwise the stuff you need is pretty obvious: lightweight flats style trousers and shirt (2 sets and rotate them after washing them in your shower each night). Wading boots, a decent hat and good shades with brown/bronze lenses. A buff to keep the sun off your face/neck and sun gloves if you are fair. I fish in socks in the boat - it stops me burning my feet and helps stop me standing on my flyline.

Some kind of boat bag and a rain jacket. Spare fly line(s) and leader material. Sun tan lotion (Factor 50).

Finally make sure you can cast 60ft quickly and accurately. Also make sure you can tie decent knots !

Remember you will be expected to pay your guide (and the lodge staff) sizeable tips. And there might be big lodge drinks bill also.

Have fun.