Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Florida Keys in March - Bonefishing?

Looking at a week with the missus in the Keys next march and of course I'd like a trip out on a skiff sight fishing for bones or tarpon etc..!

Any personal recommendations for a guide would be most appreciated please?

(And incidentally, have you seen the price? $500 for a days fishing? I am struggling to see the sense in that and havent yet told the missus what it'll cost! Isnt this a bit of a rip off?)

Default Keys March

yep $500 a day is steep, but that is the price.
    $400 min.

but that is what you gotta pay,
    it is like a guides union down there, charge less they run you out of town...............................
    won't serve you at the supermarket ,won't sell you gas for car.
    you end up having to leave.

many guides tried to move in and charge less all left town!

Keys not great for bones anyway, tarpon yes.
    not many bones at all there and what are there are big and VERY clever!
    When your time is truly up, the Grim Reaper comes to smile at you.
    And all you can do in all reality, is to just smile right back at him...............

went last year drove all the way down the keys sleeping in the car fishing on the fly wading from the flats not the best but cheap

Quote Originally Posted by JJ View Post
    Looking at a week with the missus in the Keys next march and of course I'd like a trip out on a skiff sight fishing for bones or tarpon etc..!

Any personal recommendations for a guide would be most appreciated please?

(And incidentally, have you seen the price? $500 for a days fishing? I am struggling to see the sense in that and havent yet told the missus what it'll cost! Isnt this a bit of a rip off?)

Where in the Keys will you be ?

Islamarada has good bonefishing that time of year, if your down towards Keys west then I think less so that time of year. 300 per day to fish with a qualified proffesional who should supply top of the range rods and be driving no less that $25,000 worth of skiff is not too bad really. If the guy works hard and shares his knowledge with you then I would bung him an extra $ 50 - 100 as a tip. Paying $500 per day doesnt phase me.

Tipping lazy guides who sit there cap i hand does ! Thats a whole different thread.

Email me and I will point you in the right direction hopefully
    ATB Oz

i would love to go there for fishing and holidays, but we were going to go 2 years ago but i just could not justify the stupid prices. ended up on a carribean cruise instead was good but struggled with the fishing.

scott

If you haven't made plans already be warned that there was a major fish die off due to the very cold weather Florida has seen this year. Worst die off ever recorded. If you can go fishing in the Bahamas you may fair better as the fish were not hit much there as compared to the Florida Keys.

You can't keep bonefish, Tarpon, or snook due to the effects of this depletion until Spetember at the earliest. While most people don't keep bonefish and tarpon just an FYI.

Default Florida Freeze!

The newspaper story below gives some info on the impact that the cold winter has had on Florida fishing, although the Keys might not have fared as bad. Might just take the golf clubs in May
    Mike
    http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6894015.story

I note that C&R still ok for bonefish, permit & tarpon - which usually
    the case anyway as none of these make great eating !

I have a mate who skippers a boat out of 7-mile marina and he tells me
    that they catching good tarpon.

Fished out of Lorelei in Islamorada with Sandy Moret's son Drew. Fished hard all day and didnt see a single fish (nothing).

The weather has had a very dramatic effect on the fishing in shallow water (bluewater fishing is unaffected). The flats fishing needs at least 70 degree water and the cold fronts have held back the fishing by at least 6 weeks so be warned if you are hoping to fish off a skiff be warned...

The Keys were a great holiday destination though

JJ,

Sorry your fishing was poor. This has been a horrible year. The water temps are still about 10 degrees or more below average. It is just crazy from what I have been reading. Hope you make it back and give it another go. Big bonefish in the keys compared to the rest of the globe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast