Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shark on fly

Default Shark on fly

Anyone ever try it ??

My first trip of the year is next week and I'm going to try it , I have a few fly lines to try not sure of the lb breaking strain of some but I know the airflo and rio have 50lb cores so that will be fine

I'm thinking though is a fly line even necessary I mean I will have a big fly about 10 ft of steel wire and then possibly another 10ft of very thick line I don't think any sort of distance on the cast will be possible but it's not needed really as they can be right under the boat

Just curious if anyone has any setups I should consider and how they connect fly lines to leaders and wire etc

Thank you

Tied these up yesterday , I am no expert on the vice I had to use an idustrial vice I had in the shed so the 10/0 hook would fit

Going to get the blue and yellow next and I should be ok
    Attached Images Attached Images 20160528_211112-jpg 20160528_211005-jpg 20160528_211046-jpg 

Looks good but for me I would simply tie a live chicken onto a 10/0, much better movement that artic fox I am told.

Good luck

P.s. Remember your forceps
    Last edited by Tippet321; 29-05-2016 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling

Remember through a fly rod, even a #14 you will never apply even 30lb of pressure. If you clamp your reel shut and point the line directly at the fish, that is when it'll snap. Fighting any BIG fish on a fly rod is a little of a misnomer. You're really hanging on and playing the runs till it tires out and you can gain upper hand.
    My friend who guides for Tarpon regularly chases fish over 100lb on #10-#14 rods.
    Last edited by Piker20; 29-05-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Yeah no doubt it's going to be a learning curve but one I am going to enjoy trying to master it

Things will be broken but sure that's the fun of it
    Last edited by paul c; 29-05-2016 at 03:23 PM.

Predominantly white flies with some red worked for me off the keys.
    Super Abel 11 and 12 weight singlehanded with fighting butt.
    Helps to use plenty of chum to chum up the water and don't be frightened to give your fly a good dousing to get some scent on it preferably with sliver of fish on point of fly hook as well
    I found that the fight was no way near as good as that of the Tarpon and a bullied shark soon gave up in comparison

I'm going off southern Ireland but it's practically the same

What setup did you use over ? I'm thinking of ditching the fly line and just going from the backing to a rubbing leader to a steel trace

I won't be able to cast any distance with all that anyway once I flick it out the length of the trace I should be fine , no fly line also means more backing

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmy View Post
    Predominantly white flies with some red worked for me off the keys.
    Super Abel 11 and 12 weight singlehanded with fighting butt.
    Helps to use plenty of chum to chum up the water and don't be frightened to give your fly a good dousing to get some scent on it preferably with sliver of fish on point of fly hook as well
    I found that the fight was no way near as good as that of the Tarpon and a bullied shark soon gave up in comparison
    I have this image of you bullying a great white! Clearly not but never having fished for shark, what was it and how big?

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I have this image of you bullying a great white! Clearly not but never having fished for shark, what was it and how big?

Nothing as dramatic as that......bonnet heads,lemons,black tips and bull sharks.....the latter were the biggest estimated up to about100 pounds.....everything released at the side of the skiff for obvious reasons....it was different and enjoyable as a one off but as mentioned in first post not "proper" fly fishing.also caught nurse and tiger sharks but using bait albeit on a fly rod !

French nymphing for shark - you read it on here first!!

I think some form of heavy fly line is probably best otherwise it's like casting a spark plug - had similar fun with casting large pike flies before - an intermediate might be better than a floater as you'll have enough air resistance from the fly - also I read somewhere about using smaller(!) circle hooks in the back of a plastic tube - might make a lighter large fly which will be easier to cast

Tight lines

Richard

What setup did you use over ? I'm thinking of ditching the fly line and just going from the backing to a rubbing leader to a steel trace

I won't be able to cast any distance with all that anyway once I flick it out the length of the trace I should be fine , no fly line also means more backing[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast