Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Davy Knot

Default The Davy Knot

Source: GAIA
    How to tie the Davy knot

The Davy knot was created by Davy Wotton and boast an extreamly high breaking strength. It is used for tying the fly onto the leader and it is much smaller than most other knots so it does not impede the action of the fly as it swims in the water. Furthermore, there is less waste with a Davy knot, unlike a blood knot, for instance, because with practice the tag can be kept very short. This provides a benefit with droppers lasting longer due to less wastage when flies are frequently changed.

Illustrations supplied by John Symonds*
    If you would like a GAIA Instructor to help you put theory into practice, use Find An Instructor on our website to get in touch and have a chat about your requirements.

Article Source...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post

Source: GAIA
    How to tie the Davy knot

The Davy knot was created by Davy Wotton and boast an extreamly high breaking strength. It is used for tying the fly onto the leader and it is much smaller than most other knots so it does not impede the action of the fly as it swims in the water. Furthermore, there is less waste with a Davy knot, unlike a blood knot, for instance, because with practice the tag can be kept very short. This provides a benefit with droppers lasting longer due to less wastage when flies are frequently changed.

Illustrations supplied by John Symonds*
    If you would like a GAIA Instructor to help you put theory into practice, use Find An Instructor on our website to get in touch and have a chat about your requirements.

Article Source...
    Davy Wotton may be credited with creating this knot, but I was taught it during my initial introduction to trout fishing when I was a lad in the late 1950s. How old is Davy??

Superb knot very neat and small - use it all the time for trout and the double Davy for small salmon flies.

Used it with small flies and light nylon. Not sure how it would be with bigger flies and heavier nylons like 12lb+ for Spring salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Used it with small flies and light nylon. Not sure how it would be with bigger flies and heavier nylons like 12lb+ for Spring salmon.
    It's fine. use it with 20Lb and the hook bends or the nylon breaks before the knot gives out.

I use this knot for all my trout and salmon fishing. I have had salmon up to 20lb on it. I was surprised with recent knot tests in magazines where it didn't fare too well. My admittedly unscientific testing shows it to be stronger than all the other commonly used knots with both nylon, copolymer and fluorocarbon. My only reservation is with copoly less than 0.16mm (admittedly not salmon line!) I find the single Davy slips so either putting an extra twist in or an extra turn through at the end (double Davy) stops that. Never had one slip or break on anything thicker with a single Davy.

SP8

I use the double version exclusively on flouro hooklenghts for salmon/barbel fishing, if tied correctly it is by far the best knot, it gives the highest knot strength by a mile. It is very easy to tie, especially with heavy gauge lines.
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by SP8 View Post
    I use this knot for all my trout and salmon fishing. I have had salmon up to 20lb on it. I was surprised with recent knot tests in magazines where it didn't fare too well. My admittedly unscientific testing shows it to be stronger than all the other commonly used knots with both nylon, copolymer and fluorocarbon. My only reservation is with copoly less than 0.16mm (admittedly not salmon line!) I find the single Davy slips so either putting an extra twist in or an extra turn through at the end (double Davy) stops that. Never had one slip or break on anything thicker with a single Davy.

SP8
    I'm also confused by its poor performance in an online test l read recently. Like you, I've tested it in the house. In my case, by tying a double davy on one end of a length of line and various other common snug knots on the other end and steadily applying pressure until one gave way. For me the DD was the strongest. I think it's simple to tie, uses very little tippet, and doesn't need wetting before tightening imo as it creates very little friction.

I no longer trust knot reviews as l've no confidence in whoever is doing the tying. People tend to tie their favourite knots much more effectively than new or little used ones in their repertoire.

The only other knot l use for attaching eyed tackle is the lefty kreh loop. It's great for smaller flies as it definitely gives them more movement. It is also an extremely strong knot.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Default Sorry

I'd be annoyed if I found that knot, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypeter View Post
    I use the double version exclusively on flouro hooklenghts for salmon/barbel fishing, if tied correctly it is by far the best knot, it gives the highest knot strength by a mile. It is very easy to tie, especially with heavy gauge lines.
    peter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wilkinson View Post
    I'd be annoyed if I found that knot, sorry.
    Care to explain what you’d be annoyed about Dave?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast