Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7

Default Agricultural pollution

Runtime Error

If political correctness changes the last word I am sure you will work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    Runtime Error

If political correctness changes the last word I am sure you will work it out.
    Ok go to the green peace website and search the article about the EU court judgment against Germany over agricultural pollution. Lets hope this might finally cause some action in the UK.

Runtime Error

problem with the website!
    Last edited by fly guy; 25-06-2018 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fly guy View Post
    Runtime Error

problem with the website!
    Nothing wrong with the greenpeace website, trouble is this forum which won't let me post a link to it. The decision of the EU court is just what we need in the UK.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Default Cut the carp

Try this link:

Type www.greenpeace.org/eu-unit/en/News/2018/EU-court-Germany-cut- then add c r a p without the spaces. The website is being censored by SFF because it does not like C R A P

And the EU commentary here:
    European Commission - PRESS RELEASES - Press release - Water: Commission refers GERMANY to the Court of Justice of the EU over water pollution caused by nitrates

And more importantly for us all and the future, this:

Trends in nitrate concentrations in groundwater | Groundwater | British Geological Survey (BGS)

and this:

303 See Other

Just the kind of thing that the SCS tends to bury it's head in the sand when considering the impact of anthropogenic changes to the natural hydrology on salmon trends.

However, I think that the EU court will not punish the UK for failure to meet the innefectual Water Framework Directive (WFD) legislation they're going after Germany for, because in 2015 the UK pulled out and asked for an extra 12 years to comply with it.

By 2027 no-one will give a monkeys about our rivers (salmon anglers going that way now, IME), and the EA and NRW and SEPA will be able to pass the buck elsewhere...
    Last edited by seeking; 26-06-2018 at 09:43 AM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

It is sad the state of some of our rivers but who is to blame.
    My home river the White Cart in its upper reaches was one of the finest trout streams in the country. It is now a third of its size and is just a ditch. The farmers all turned to silage and increased there dairy herds by up to 10 times the number of kye. The slurry washed off the fields into it encouraging the rough grasses along the banks. You can smell the slurry well back from the river. The sewage works can not cope with all the new building so any time it rains the overflow just goes straight into the river. Low water and the place is covered in blanket weed.
    When I think of the thousands of trout I caught in that river in my youth it makes me wonder why we deserve this planet.
    Bob.

Welsh Tywi home of the sea trout has been wiped out by intensive farming and the Welsh governments answer is "self regulation".
    Morphfly