Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  2

Default SAMS aquaculture experts called to Scottish Parliament

Last edited by fly guy; 02-02-2018 at 06:58 PM.

I thought it was a really interesting listen. Gives you a fair bit of insight into what the politicians are hearing and what needs to be done to get them to shift. Broadly saying that there has been no meaningful data coming out of Scotland for them(research scientists) to comment on since 2002.
    Last edited by innes; 04-02-2018 at 05:37 PM.

I note that there are concerns about the welfare of the fish in the cages appearing in the press.
    Given that we, as anglers, stick hooks in the same species of fish for fun, I wonder how long it will be before we, as anglers, appear in the firing line?

Or how long it will be, before the distress caused to fish that have to swim hard in front of the big approaching trawler net, until overcome with exhaustion they are then slowly crushed and suffocated or if still alive, gutted whilst still flapping around.

Guys, I think you missed the point I have tried to make which is many of the politicians don't know much about fishing,FEBs,aquaculture etc.Why should they. If you think you can do better then stand for office! So what they do is try to get scientific evidence,backed up by good quality data to help themselves to be better informed. It's not complicated. They are not going to be impressed by salmon fishers gathering signatures. It needs to be data driven. If government suppress or don't commission enough research in the relevant area(which is suggested in the SAMS presentation) then they need to be massively challenged. Innes

Scottish Parliament TV | Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee : February 06, 2018

Poor David Sandison is wheeled out to defend the indefensible.

"We should really be regarded as the guardians of the environment". Bold claim.
    Last edited by innes; 07-02-2018 at 06:39 PM.

David Sandison, general manager of the Scottish salmon producers Organisation, has given a commitment that Scottish salmon farms will publish data on sea lice and farmed fish mortality. This commitment was given to the Holyrood Environmental Committee.
    Sandison said: "We understand and acknowledge that there are gaps in data and we could definitely enhance that further. I can confirm that from hereon, forthwith we will publish all data associated with sea lice counts on farms on a farm-by-farm basis in scotland"

Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee have considered the presentations they received and I have the attached the letter they have sent up to the Rural economy connectivity committee who are doing the main salmon farming review.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The REC committee have produced a draft of their first session with the salmon industry. Despite some shockingly biased reports from government sources the full session is worth a read. Edited as the video has just appeared. Start at 22mins. The MSP's are doing their work I think.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by innes; 14-03-2018 at 06:07 PM.

This is today's evidence to committee. Uploaded very quickly compared to the first session.

Last edited by innes; 14-03-2018 at 06:41 PM.