Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

I'm just totally cheesed off that netting and rods are considered in the same bracket. I agree with the comments that the EA have a pre-determined outcome..... but the socioeconomic impacts of banning netting is virtually nothing in comparison to effect going 100% C&R for angling will have. The numbers of salmon and seatrout taken by rods is far, far, far less than those by nets... and the economic benefits far, far greater.

The EA is missing a major point, both should not be treated the same it's an insult and not logical, Angler's are the EAs eyes and ears on the river, anything to reduce or disincentivise Angler's from fishing will lead to more fish kills due to pollution and poaching.....

As a P.S. I'm off fishing today.....but I've dusted off the beachcasters for an evening session with my six year old off Tywyn....might have to get used to catching some ray, dogfish and flatties again, it's too much to hope for a bass, the recent legislation has pretty much concluded that option, in favour of newsmen again.

Their argument is flawed.
    Last edited by Andy R; 16-09-2017 at 07:16 AM.

mid Wales, just over the Shropshire border

Even more cheesed off last night.....got to the coast about 3pm ( tennis, visiting granny, lunch in a pub near Ceamaes Road- very nice) took three dogs and two boys for a walk along the seafront at Tywyn to the tackle shop to buy some Sandeel and black lug......horror of horrors the shop had gone, apparently two years ago.

Now this place was no Norris of Penrith ( come to mention it you'd struggle to get sandeels in their either) but was run by an inshore netsman, who mostly ran pots and sold fresh fish; bass, lobster, mullet, turbot, crab etc, and ran the tackle shop out of the back room of his house, basic beachcasters, reels, not great top end stuff but 70 was too rod, and about the same for the best reel, but lots of bait, line, sinkers, terminal tackle, a great local tackle shop.... at one point 20 years ago I'd spend about 100 a fortnight in there.

I walked the boys back through the town, no bait for sale anywhere, couldn't even get frozen mackerel in the co-op.....now it was 5-15pm. Nearest tackle shop was Barmouth over 40 minutes drive. So no fishing for me and my lad.

It's fair to say at six he was probably less disappointed than I was - I'd spent Friday night tidying up my mag-elite 6500, checking rigs, finding a nice gentle spinning rod he could cast 40 yards ( he's a big lad).....

Found out I can buy some from Dai's Shed in Aberdyfi between 11am and 2pm except Wednesday.

Perhaps the guy retired ( I think he was in his late 40s twenty years ago) or perhaps people stopped spending money- I'm afraid I did when the seatrout bug bit. Plus the fact that UK sea fishing is so poor off the beach unless you want to catch lots of dogfish.

Shame, I'll have to be better prepared next time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123