Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Default Lazer or Sawada?

Anyone try these? The search for the perfect running line, or the skill to manage one without even thinking, continues. Lazer looks nice but I fear it would cut the hand off a fella ... seems good value too. Suspect that Sawada line may be just another line repackaged or a variation of another. Can anyone confirm or refute my scepticism? Any other suggestions, though I've tried Rio, Guideline (yuk) and others, appreciated. Something that won't tangle too easily and has decent strength for all the monsters in the Blackwater.
    Best

Lazar Line Running Line

or

Ken Sawada
    Flat beam Super 35lb.

Jack Power,I've used mono running lines and shooting heads for far longer than the current Scandi trend has been around.Indeed mono will help give you distance but there are disadvantages with it.Firstly be very sure its what you want to use,especially the flat stuff which can drive you to total distraction in slacks and slower currents,once it turns flat side on its the very devil itself to get out of the water when your deep wading.
    Despite what ad. blurb tells you,once a mono running line is kinked it will hank up at that spot with anoying regularity again such good fun when you are trying to fish.You can go too thin,don't be tempted at least 30lb,or 50lb is better,going too thin will take away the controlled resistance offered by thicker mono's,that will allow your casting loop to collapse,you won't get turn over and will loose distance. Lot's of floating mono running lines- - - DON'T.,BE Ready for that one!
    Be prepared to change a lot more regularly than coated running lines,so don't go spending buckets of cash,just to chuck it in the bin eventually.
    My big dedicated sinking shooting heads for the Tay are all spooled up using 50yds of 30lb Amnesia,cheap as chips,its neutral density but only sinks very slowly,resists kinking better than any other line I've tried,if it does kink place the line in warm water overnight and re-wind next day and the kink is gone(honest,works a treat),kinks will work out overnight any way if its simply left on the spool-longer the better.Buy from Sea Angling shops on 100yd spools in a variety of colours for about 5,split a spool to fill two reels!.Varivas isn't too bad,at least it floats!,again 100yd spools,the 50b stuff is what you want,it will kink more than Amnesia and when it does kink its a total pain and by and large un retrievable,a lot more expensive too!.
    One more word of warning!,be careful and re-wind on the reel regularly,mono can create huge pressure on a reels spool if tightly wound and left!,I've seen my share of exploded or warped spools over the years,especially from those who fill up with bulk spools of 30lb nylon!.
    Forget the flat stuff totally!.
    Good luck,Pedro.

Default Ta ta

Thanks Pedro, I'll try the Amnesia, sounds good

best

JP
    Last edited by JACK POWER; 02-08-2015 at 06:27 PM.

Default Running Line

I've been using Sawada running line for the last 3 seasons - brilliant stuff, lies straight after 5 mins fishing and you get very very few tangles, I'm only experiencing 1 or 2 in a days fishing. I use 35lb for my light #6, 7 & 8 scandi s/head lines. By far the best I've used.

Default Lazar or Sawada

just gone to the dark side! Used Sawada for the last 2 seasons and thought it was the d's.... b's, until I tried Lazar. I have got both the 40 and the 50BS installed, pays your money etc, but for the balance between fishability and distance, I think the 50lb BS is terrific. Easy to tie knots; watch Ed Ward's video on the OPST web site to see how to really tighten a knot! It is limp, lovely to handle if retrieving, doesn't seem to knot/Kink and shoots very well. If ultimate distance is the aim go down to the 40 or the 30. Its also a fair bit cheaper than Sawada.

Default Management

Most of the recommended ones are good enough and all of us have our preferences. I think pedro makes a lot of really good points about getting the best out of these though, like fishing when standing in slack water. In this scenario I usually just shorten up to fish less line and accept a loss of distance to save hassle.

Most folks don't try to manage more than 3 loops either, of varying length, ie 8,7,6 or 5,4,3 etc to help avoid tangles. I personally use two loops on the bottom hand and a longer one up top and feel the spacing helps a little more again.

These tips that get handed on have made a difference to me whatever the preferred brand.

The blue coloured Zpey mono is excellent. I am now a convert away from coated running lines

I'm sure the blue Salmologic one is very similar