Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Salmon on a Dry Fly

My New Year's resolution is to catch a Yorkshire salmon on a dry fly, which is the subject of the latest post on Just One Week.
    It will probably confirm your belief that I'm daft!

Michael
    Just One Week

Good luck mate I'm sure you will let us all know how you fare in your pursuit of a salmon on the dry fly

A wonderful resolution Michael, at least its not impossible and hopefully not improbable!!
    I just may have a go myself if conditions lend to it.....you never know till you try
    If You want to test the depth of water...... dont use both feet!!Hidden Content

TonyPrior Guest

Just getting into a rather detailed book on dry fly fishing, generously passed on by one of our chalkstream afficionados: Fly Fishing Outside the Box, by Peter Hayes.

Chapter 1 summary: not to follow the self-defeating principle advocated by Halford and his disciples, of insisting on the totally dry fly. The upstream-cast, half-submerged, flymph, nymph, 'damp' fly seems to be the way to go, from decades of stomach content analyses of chalkstream trout.

It makes me wonder why our overseas friends set such great store on the high-floating and bristly Bomber, when a large Klinkhamer might well be better.
    Last edited by TonyPrior; 19-01-2014 at 04:59 PM. Reason: only upstream

Good luck to you MCX, with all that critical criteria me thinks you're going to need it. Shall look on with interest, though catching them with the tried and tested is challenge enough for me.

thanks for posting, enjoyable reading.... like yourself 2014 will see alot of my time spent drifting bombers over salmon.... i been to gaspe for the past 2 seasons where dry flies are the norm and have been picking the brains of our guide about the method, he reckons without a shadow of doubt dries will work here in ireland.... im not sure about the theory of bombers only working in more northen latitudes, ireland is more northern than gaspe...
    ive been told that if conditions suit for a salmon to rise to a wet fly fished off a floater just under the surface then a fish will take a dead drifted bomber.... remember every year salmon are caught on dry mayflies on the big trout loughs here in ireland.... i think the main reason they arent caught is because nobody is fishing them over here, in over 20 years fishing salmon im yet to see anybody fish a bomber....
    in 2012 i spoke with 2 anglers who both hooked salmon on dry flies while fishing trout, one of them hooked the fish on a large sedge the other on a big wulf... both of them said the take was just like a good trout rise with the fish confidently sucking the fly off the surface... both these fish were hooked in june on 2 different rivers on the east coast of ireland, the main runs of fish dont start running untill the end of july-september...
    there was also a post on here a couple of years back of a lad taking a salmon on a dry fly while fishing trout on the river boyne....
    i wish you the best of luck for the coming season and await the reports of salmon landed on the bomber

ps, if you need any bombers drop me a pm with your address and ill happily send you on a couple
    Last edited by pete; 19-01-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Good on you mate it is also something a have been thinkin about but given the time a get on the river a ain't sure a will have enough to give it a right good go! Pete feel free to send one a em coatbrig way!

Quote Originally Posted by scottyboy9nro View Post
    Good on you mate it is also something a have been thinkin about but given the time a get on the river a ain't sure a will have enough to give it a right good go! Pete feel free to send one a em coatbrig way!
    Pm me your address, I'm hoping to get tying a few this week, the more bombers out there the better

Default Salmon on Dry Fly

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    thanks for posting, enjoyable reading.... like yourself 2014 will see alot of my time spent drifting bombers over salmon.... i been to gaspe for the past 2 seasons where dry flies are the norm and have been picking the brains of our guide about the method, he reckons without a shadow of doubt dries will work here in ireland.... im not sure about the theory of bombers only working in more northen latitudes, ireland is more northern than gaspe...
    ive been told that if conditions suit for a salmon to rise to a wet fly fished off a floater just under the surface then a fish will take a dead drifted bomber.... remember every year salmon are caught on dry mayflies on the big trout loughs here in ireland.... i think the main reason they arent caught is because nobody is fishing them over here, in over 20 years fishing salmon im yet to see anybody fish a bomber....

ps, if you need any bombers drop me a pm with your address and ill happily send you on a couple
    Pete,

many thanks for your kind offer. I've got some white ones, a couple of red and brown, and a small red and green with hackles. Do you have any large size that are a sort of light brown and white mix by any chance?

Michael
    Just One Week

On the last day of the season 2013, the salmon fishing was poor. A friend had a trout rod set up with a sedge and a nympy fished NZ style. I took a few cast with it and to the almost downfall of my cardiac rythym, a big brown fella made his presence well know as he boiled at the flees. No this could have been to the nymph or just pure chance that the flies were passing as he was showing but it gave me a bit of hope that it could possibly be done!

I also remember watching a programe (i think it was Paul Young) where he was fishing the mouth of a river on a lough, He was using ginked up wets that were on the surface and was nailing grilse on them to great effect.

Nothing is impossible, Best of luck pal!
    Last edited by YoungRyan; 20-01-2014 at 05:34 PM.
    I hope there is free fishing in the afterlife..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast