Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Fishing the monkey hitch

looking at the thread on the monkey hitch by sloggi, is the idea of tying this fly on a plastic tube, so it can be used with a floating line and fished as a surface lure, as this method would be so exciting to fish,

Quote Originally Posted by jammy View Post
    looking at the thread on the monkey hitch by sloggi, is the idea of tying this fly on a plastic tube, so it can be used with a floating line and fished as a surface lure, as this method would be so exciting to fish,
    That's what I do, but know doubt it will take fish subsurface as well. Indeed it often fishes just under the surface depending on water, rate of retreive etc.

Cheers,

jock

cheers, so do you also fish it with a belly in your line to swing the fly round.

There should be a few threads/posts re hitch tubes and how to fish them - use the search engine.

For me, the hitch works best on a single-hander or short double-hander. Using a floater and short leader fish the hitch over fish lies with a nice even movement. Just casting across and down is not really the best way to fish this type of lure. Thinking back over this season casting 45 degress was the largest angle I used - I generally cast much narrower and fished the hitch sensitively.

Incredible feeling to see the fish coming up and having a go at the fly - superb
    Last edited by Sloggi; 24-12-2008 at 08:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jammy View Post
    cheers, so do you also fish it with a belly in your line to swing the fly round.
    Of the two grilse I caught last year on a hitched monkey, one was caught boat fishing using the monkey as the bob fly and the other was caught stripping the fly quickly across the top of a slow moving pool.

In both cases the fly had the front of the tube sealed with aqasure and a hole melted through both sides about 1/3rd down the body to enable to hitch from either side of the tube. I have also had success with a tube where I have simply made one hole 1/3rd down on the underside of the fly....the fish don't seem to object to the fly fishing on its side

Like Sloggie it has been a short length of nylon to the fly from the fly line.

Cheers,

Jock