Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default river tweed traquair

hi has any one fished this beat on the tweed , mate has booked a few days in oct

ok if you want to fish for stale fish that seldom want to take your fly!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    ok if you want to fish for stale fish that seldom want to take your fly!!!!!
    ignore this comment as it is inaccurate and ignorant! peter heve you ever fished traquair?
    Last edited by onthedangle; 31-07-2008 at 11:03 PM.

hold on there peter are you going to next accuse all spring fishers that they must like catching kelts, any salmon river has stale fish in it in october nobody fishes for them on purpose! if you want to be 100% sure of catching a clean fish peter you might want to try on a boat in the north atlantic?

I have fished this beat. It's got some nice pools which will fish at different height and has the advantage of some double bank but for me there are a few rods too many on the beat. The price has shot up in the last few years so its lost its value for money tag. Possibly more chance of fresh fish in Oct than in Nov but I wouldn't bet on it. In my view there is better fishing to be had for less money else where.

Hi,Wilbert

Re the Tweed, I appreciate there is always likely to be better VFM fishing elsewhere than the Upper Tweed. But time and travel constraints can sometimes affect my day(s) out fishing. I don't really like driving myself for X hours and then fishing all day only to face a long journey when I am tired, cold and, especially, I have not had a "tug" never mind caught or lost a fish.

My wife has only recently ceased her need to use our car for her work as she has a job she can walk to. And my kids' have moved on from the thrice weekly dreaded swim runs etc - what a bind that was! Great improvement in my availability to go fishing "on the day" without a huge logistical exercise involving the Royal Corp of Transport re school and swim runs etc. No wonder I almost prefer to go on 2-3 day trips etc for Salmon so I can get focused on my fishing and not be clock watching

As a relatively recent returner to Salmon Angling, the Upper Tweed is my closest big River for Salmon so I have tended to favour it for to getting back into Salmon angling for the above reasons plus it's big enough in places to justify using my 16ft rod etc as well as down to my smaller rods, including 11ft 3" Grilse/Sea Trout rod. So the Upper Tweed gives me a good range of fishing conditions and types of wading etc

Prior to this year, I've only tried Beats on it since 2005 although I had tried a good few Beats in the Middle Tweed for Trout about 25 years or so ago

So I only barely "know" Glenormiston, Traquair and Holylee just a little bit having not fished them in their entireity. I agree their prices are getting a bit daunting, especially if you like to pre-book for peace of mind but end up mistimeing your visit and the water is too high or low or during the leaf drop period which can be very annoying etc. Water conditions are particularly important factors for success on the Upper Tweed where you cannot realistically justify expecting a Big Day and mint conditioned fish or both. But we live in hope!!

I've already experienced a range of temperatures on Holylee alone which range from the Arctic to the Tropical, especially last year when it was very hot at the end of October and the year before was perishing in early November as well as high and low water. As I get more experienced and my competence as an angler returns to where I was before I broke from regular angling for salmon, then it's my plan to keep plugging away in the upper area of the river before moving on again to something a bit more tasty fishing wise. But I have to admit all the beats I mention do have their own particular attractions for me

Would obviously love to hear from you or others who know the Upper Tweed and have any suggestions for better Salmon VFM in October/November bearing in mind my self imposed constraints on time and travel which I can handle. Mind you I can now take a day off work at fairly short notice, any day but especially on Thursdays and Fridays. I know of - but have no experience of fishing for Salmon - on the Nith and Annan as well as the Tay and the Earn which are easily reached by car. The Forth is a No due to overcrowding and horrible bank conditions etc for fly fishing, better for trying a worm or spinning. And the Forth is where I have many good memories of from the 1970's whe I had a few decent Springers from the Town Water and it was 5 a year or less as a resident of Stirling. 50p at one time for a junior season ticket!!!

Would love to hear your suggestions for the Upper Tweed - if that was where you simply had to fish at that time of year - and I fully appreciate too much or too little rain makes all the difference.

Any thoughts, much appreciated

tweedbunnet
    Last edited by tweedbunnet; 01-08-2008 at 05:04 AM.

Default terry h

Terry, theres a well know saying that you payes yer money and take your chances etc. This is the Upper Tweed remember and you do take your chances.

There has been a long drawn out thread on the Upper Tweed recently and this can be found in the Tweed section.

How ever there are clean fish to be caught on these reaches, albeit more likely to catch coloured fish in November, but value for money, if you compare it to the silly money being asked on the middle to lower beats then in that respect -it is good value for money.
    Some will say - what is value for money when Salmon fishing and I think its what the purchaser is prepared to pay for peace and tranquility on the river bank. Look at what the football fans pay for watching 90 minutes of so called football, then tell me paying similar money for Salmon fishing is not value for money!!.

Tight Lines

Quote Originally Posted by wilbert View Post
    I have fished this beat. It's got some nice pools which will fish at different height and has the advantage of some double bank but for me there are a few rods too many on the beat. The price has shot up in the last few years so its lost its value for money tag. Possibly more chance of fresh fish in Oct than in Nov but I wouldn't bet on it. In my view there is better fishing to be had for less money else where.
    That's a fair summary of Traquair which is one of the better of the Upper Beats. If you are going to fish the Upper Tweed, it's as good as most and better than many.

On Tweed Bunnet's Post

Unless you have access to one of the few Private Beats there is no cheap fishing on the Upper Tweed. Beats will vary in price from 70 - 200 per rod per day during the real season (mid Oct - mid Nov).

Whether that represents value for money is ultimately down to the individual. However, if you try to apply objective criteria like fish per rod per day then Fairnilee, the most expensive, makes interesting reading.

Average catch in November is 63.2 to 9 rods. So that's 25days x 9 rods 225 rod days. Assume an unlet rate of 10% (generous) thats 200 days. So that's approximately 3.17 rod days to catch a fish. Rods are 150 - 200 per day. So take a blended rate of 175.

Therefore, the pure permit cost alone to catch a November Fernilee salmon is in the region of 555. When you add accommodation, food, bar, fuel etc for those three days it's nearer 800 for a visiting angler.

On an opportunity cost basis that is a staggering figure, especially when you consider the probability is higher that the fish you catch will be a coloured thing of 6 - 9lbs. However, the rods are rarely advertised so someone is happy to pay that.

Fernilee is extreme. Applying the same multiples to Traquair with a November average of 65 to 9 rods (assuming the same unlet rate) the cost per fish at 100 per rod per day is approximately 310. However the other costs are relatively fixed so it's arround 570 to catch a Traquair salmon for the visiting angler.

Traquair is a reasonable benchmark for the Upper Tweed. If you can do it as a day trip a fish will statistically (assuming you have booked weeks in advance and face the Tweed water lottery) cost you in the region of 310, or the price of a good day's driven shooting. If you are a visiting angler it will cost you in the region of 570 or the price of a brilliant day's shooting. Splash, please note the economics next time you are deriding me about the cost of shooting

In comparison, it works out for me about 190 to catch a pristine Dee springer as a visiting angler. No brainer for me.

Regards

CLaG
    Last edited by CLaG; 01-08-2008 at 10:20 AM.

Used to fish Traquair a few years agoTerry H, its a waste of time before the begining of October unless there is prolonged high water,indeed this is one upper Tweed beat that thrives on high water and more so than other upper beats is dire in low water.The beat fishes 9 rods split into 3 sub beats mostly from both banks,you fish one beat A.M. and change to another beat P.M.You need to be fit as there is lots of walking, vehicular access is poor wading is generaly safe but if you get the water the beat needs a lot of the fishing is from the bank.You dont need owt special tackle wise,15ft rod or less will cope just fine,a good multi-tip will cope with most of the water but it would be silly not to take a wet 2 type sinker and maybe a faster poly-tip or two.Some of the water is canal like(the new water on beat one) so a good single hander and lines to suit will open things up a bit.Best spots to try hard at are,bottom pool beat 3 right bank-The Mound- again beat 3 above the old Railway bridge by the dead tree trunk(if its still there),beat 2- Lethen Mouth- and below the Road Bridge,beat 1- above the Road Bridge-the Boat Pool-then the Left Bank very top of The New Water.There is a stretch opposite Glen Ormiston on the right bank but generaly its ****,when I fished there if it was your turn to go there you went to the pub or tied flies instead.There is plenty of water to go at,dont expect any clean fish in fact you will be lucky to see any that are takeable condition wise,most will be well past their sell by date.You will be better prepared if you expect to cover lots of water so mobility and flexibility wiil score points.Its not the best of Tweed fishing but its not the worst either,nor is it classic pools and runs,about 30yds wide most of it is easily covered,bank wise its a bit exposed so if the wind is howling-Bummer-.There is more to tell if you want to know happy to help,cheers Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaG View Post
    That's a fair summary of Traquair which is one of the better of the Upper Beats. If you are going to fish the Upper Tweed, it's as good as most and better than many.

On Tweed Bunnet's Post

Unless you have access to one of the few Private Beats there is no cheap fishing on the Upper Tweed. Beats will vary in price from 70 - 200 per rod per day during the real season (mid Oct - mid Nov).

Whether that represents value for money is ultimately down to the individual. However, if you try to apply objective criteria like fish per rod per day then Fairnilee, the most expensive, makes interesting reading.

Average catch in November is 63.2 to 9 rods. So that's 25days x 9 rods 225 rod days. Assume an unlet rate of 10% (generous) thats 200 days. So that's approximately 3.17 rod days to catch a fish. Rods are 150 - 200 per day. So take a blended rate of 175.

Therefore, the pure permit cost alone to catch a November Fernilee salmon is in the region of 555. When you add accommodation, food, bar, fuel etc for those three days it's nearer 800 for a visiting angler.

On an opportunity cost basis that is a staggering figure, especially when you consider the probability is higher that the fish you catch will be a coloured thing of 6 - 9lbs. However, the rods are rarely advertised so someone is happy to pay that.

Fernilee is extreme. Applying the same multiples to Traquair with a November average of 65 to 9 rods (assuming the same unlet rate) the cost per fish at 100 per rod per day is approximately 310. However the other costs are relatively fixed so it's arround 570 to catch a Traquair salmon for the visiting angler.

Traquair is a reasonable benchmark for the Upper Tweed. If you can do it as a day trip a fish will statistically (assuming you have booked weeks in advance and face the Tweed water lottery) cost you in the region of 310, or the price of a good day's driven shooting. If you are a visiting angler it will cost you in the region of 570 or the price of a brilliant day's shooting. Splash, please note the economics next time you are deriding me about the cost of shooting

In comparison, it works out for me about 190 to catch a pristine Dee springer as a visiting angler. No brainer for me.

Regards

CLaG
    Hi, CLaG and others

You are spot on with this. I have done the number crunching etc and come to the same conclusion - I agree the rod days per fish caught equation is the true measure to use when measured against costs of fishing any beat.

It's just that for the past 3-4 years, I have not had ready access to a car which I could use for travel (kids etc school and swim runs and god knows what else a salmon fishing father of 3 teenagers.

I also don't- or at least from past experience - enjoy going on trips for more than 3 days whereas plenty relish a week or more non-stop angling.

I am able to travel a bit further afield and, who knows, maybe I will be up north next year.

Pro term, I am sticking to about 2 hours from home for my fishing or an overnight on the Friday prior to fishing on Saturdays ect.

But I do believe I will get a fish on the Upper/Middle Tweed and before the they get stale- if I pick the right time and beat

tweedbunnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast