Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Bought my first Salmon rod!

Hey everybody! I'm new here and new to Salmon fishing. I just today bought my first rod since it was on sale. After a lot of thought I settled on the Lamiglass X-11 in the 96MS graphite handle version. For anybody wondering it's a 9'6" Medium, Moderate fast action rod rated from 1/4 to 3/4 oz with a 8-12lb line rating. I was very fickle on whether I wanted the Graphite handle or the cork since ive only ever used cork and Eva foam on my Bass rods but I decided on graphite since I'll be wearing gloves in the cold anyways. Right now I plan on using this rod for spoons for salmon, and Deep diving Rapala jerkbaits while pier fishing for Lakers and Walleye. Ok that was my spiel of literally the only stuff I know about Salmon fishing! I have quite a few questions so please bare with me! First off what do I need to catch fish. What spoons do you guys use, what size, brand, color, what modifications do you do to them Ive heard of barrel swivels, single hooks etc? And when do you use spoons! What other kinds of baits should I be looking into and when are the best times to fish? Anywhere from seasonal to hourly. Also what are the strong points of my rod? I didnt mention I also dont have a reel for this rod yet! I'm figuring a ~3000 and I'm deciding between the Penn Fierce 3, Daiwa BG and Daiwa eliminator. I'm trying to look for some pretty heavy duty reels for this rod since I'm gonna be fishing some rough conditions and not so nice to it unlike my pampered Bass outfits. Thanks so much for the help everybody and thanks for having me here!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hello & welcome, where abouts will you be fishing? it will help as people will be able to advise what works locally to you

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    Hello & welcome, where abouts will you be fishing? it will help as people will be able to advise what works locally to you
    Quote Originally Posted by chakat View Post
    Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Thanks so much! Cgaines10, I'll be fishing northern michigan such as the Ausable river and some piers into Lake Huron. I'll also travel around michigan to other places but that's where the majority of my fishing will be.

I thought you might be from America, I'm not sure on what lures work over there. Over here the following lures are very effective: flying C's, rapalas, vision 110s & mepps. However, they may be useless were you are. I would imagine someone on here will have a better idea for what works locally

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines10 View Post
    I thought you might be from America, I'm not sure on what lures work over there. Over here the following lures are very effective: flying C's, rapalas, vision 110s & mepps. However, they may be useless were you are. I would imagine someone on here will have a better idea for what works locally
    Thanks for the help! I'll look into those lures, and yeah hopefully sombody near me will chime in!

Any helps is really appreciated guys! I dont really know what I'm doing and would like to learn!