Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  18
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price of guides

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieH View Post
    Hi All,

my wife has booked me a gift of 2 days on one scottish river and then 2 days on another with a guide on1 day on each of the rivers. I'm also assuming I have the Ghillie services on each beat although not on a one-2-one basis.
    The package includes hotels on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate for 4 nights with a packed lunch for the 4 days. I have top provide my own tackle and transport.

When I looked at booking the beats and hotels directly it works out at 1360 less than she has been invoiced for which means they are charging 680/day for their 2 days of guiding.

Seems excessive to me.

She has paid a deposit already but even if that was forfeited, it still leaves me 860 to book whoever I wish.

Just not sure to just go with it or go down the DIY option as I have no idea if the cost/day is reasonable. I could try approaching the company that she has gone through but I can't see them budging on price.
    You have answered your own question! Book it yourself individually and if ghilled as you say, you have no need for a guide.

Cheers andy

Quote Originally Posted by orchy1999 View Post
    You are being robbed mate: wow:

What are your actual requirements? preferred location,dates etc as I'm sure there is enough knowledge and advice on this forum to make sure you have a good diy trip.
    I'm relatively new to salmon fishing and have a couple of rods lines etc and had a couple of short lessons last year. The wife booked this for me to learn and also have some fun fishing hence two days on one river with a guide for the first day and then the same on another river.

I'm based in the north west of England and was going to travel to the Tay for 2 days and the Tweed for the last 2.

Thinking about it I need rivers which are good for a novice and easy wading but also decent beats. I really fancy the tweed but maybe also the Tyne but these are only ideas. Open to options.

Would be the end of April to give an idea of time of year but any suggestions would be more than welcome along with recommendations of guides or even ghillies that can be hired for one on one for a day on each.

Hi Donnie
    I will PM you tonight with my suggestions.

As a yardstick, you can get 2 days all inclusive with top man Scott Mackenzie & team including accom etc for 699:

Masterclass mackenzieflyfishing

The course alone is 399, i.e. approx 200/day

.....Be interesting to know who is charging more than a world-champ spey caster?
    Last edited by noeyedeer; 29-01-2020 at 10:54 AM.

For the tweed, as far as i know james amstrong covers the borders and maybe the tweed. His facebook page is "chasing fins". Worth a look.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Don,
    I have sent you a PM with recommendations for the Tyne and Tweed guides/instructors.

I have to thank you all for your advice and suggested guides which I have received via PM. Will keep you updated.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DonnieH View Post
    I'm relatively new to salmon fishing and have a couple of rods lines etc and had a couple of short lessons last year. The wife booked this for me to learn and also have some fun fishing hence two days on one river with a guide for the first day and then the same on another river.

I'm based in the north west of England and was going to travel to the Tay for 2 days and the Tweed for the last 2.

Thinking about it I need rivers which are good for a novice and easy wading but also decent beats. I really fancy the tweed but maybe also the Tyne but these are only ideas. Open to options.

Would be the end of April to give an idea of time of year but any suggestions would be more than welcome along with recommendations of guides or even ghillies that can be hired for one on one for a day on each.
    If your based in the NW have you not considered staying local Ribble or Eden for example? For that money you could get membership to a top club and fish all year. Certainly more chance of catching and learning than 4 days chuck and chance on the big Scottish rivers with no guarantee of ideal conditions where as a season on a local river you will hit it right at some point. If you want any advice on the Ribble drop me a PM.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    680 a day, that might just lure me out of retirement.
    Nice to see you active on the Forum again Alan.
    Not heard from you for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    680 a day, that might just lure me out of retirement.
    No point in taking a drop in wages Alan.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12