Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default First season line/setup advice....

Hi all, myself and my brother have decided to take up salmon fishing this coming season after spending years fly fishing for trout/grayling, we've joined a local northeast club TAS and can't wait to get out and learn the water we will have access to.

I've bought most of the gear I'm going to need to get me started, my main rod is a BLOKE speymaster 13'6" #8/9 and the reel is loaded with an Airflo SCANDI 9/10 line......

I was planning on buying the rio versitip line kit to cover most scenarios, then I seen quite a few people seem to rate the airflo rage line kit which is half the price...... THEN I started wondering if I'd be better off using the line that came with the outfit I have and simply attaching an intermediate/sinking poly leader then attaching a tapered leader to that when conditions require?.

I've searched for answers but can't find exactly what I'm looking for so would appreciate any feedback

We've been out with a guide for a days fishing last season on the tyne and amazingly both caught fish on the fly on our first full day out although we're under no illusions that this was exceptionally lucky!

If by chance there's any local (Newcastle/Northumberland) TAS members on here that would be able/willing to spend a morning or afternoon being driven around a few of the local beats to show us the boundaries and access/parking I'd gladly shout you some lunch and a pint.

Sorry for the long winded post and thanks for reading if you made it to the end without falling asleep 😀

Regards
    Mick

Mick,

welcome to the Forum, where you'll find all manner of wit, wisdom, banter and all else besides. There are lots of Tyne anglers on here who will cheerfully assist you. Keep a thick skin and always remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question. if you want some basic tips on fishing for salmon with the fly have a look at Just One Week, which is written for novices.

There's no need to go out and buy an expensive Rio Versi-Tip line at this stage. The line you have with a selection of 10' Airflo salmon polyleaders (slow, fast and very fast sink) at about a fiver each will cover most needs. You should stick about 3 feet of mono tippet on the end of the polyleader to achieve balance with your rod.

Nor do you need to go overboard on flies: just a couple of basic patterns tied as doubles and tubes will be fine. You won't go far wrong on the Tyne with a Cascade fly. In any event I only ever fish with one pattern, everywhere, all year round!

Congratulations on your first fish. Here's all good wishes for the next one, but don't forget to post the picture on the Forum.

Alot of the tyne isnt really that deep in real terms so you can get away with polyleaders and then weighted flies to get down a bit if needed. Fly wise something red and shrimpy.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was hoping would be the case with the polyleaders as the line I have is brand new.

I've a small Wheatley fly box which I can add flies to through the season, I'm not one for lugging masses of gear around.
    Always had about 150 trout flies in my bag and only ever used maybe 10 of them so I know exactly where you're coming from.

Thanks again
    Mick

As mentioned above, a cascase or allys shrimp will catch a salmon pretty much anywhere. Couple of stoats tails for low water and maybe a gold body wille gunn tube or similar for high water and youbare good to go.
    Also tippet wise i fish 15lb brown maxima 75% of the time on the tyne as it matches the water colour well, if its really low ill step down to 10lb or 12lb flurocarbon, i wouldnt go too light as the tyne can throw out the odd monster.

Last edited by Rrrr; 24-01-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Thanks Rrrr, we were advised 13-15lb so I'll try the maxima first,

The fly I caught my first and only salmon on was similar to an ally's shrimp although it's in with the photo I had framed now!

Eh up MickG, just clocked your post!.Don't know much about Bloke rods afraid, but heard they've a good reputation!.However, the Airflo Scandi line you have in the 9/10 version might be a bit too heavy for your rod!.Don't get me wrong the Airflo Scandi is a cracking shooting head, but you might just be better with an 8/9 version that better matches your rod!.Once your rod and line are well matched-that's half the battle of casting.
    If you open your wallet and purchase a full set of Airflo 10ft poly leaders(in the little neat rubberised wallet), that'll let you cover an awful lot of options as far as getting some depth with your flee.Buy some 3mm leader rings and tie and glue one to the nylon tag end of each poly.Now you don't want/need tapered leaders on the end of polys., rather 5ft to 6ft feet of suitable leader material depending on the flee size and flee weight you're using on the day and to suit water conditions too.This arrangement will give you a leader length (including the Poly.) in total of 15ft which will aid your casting no end, give you great presentation and let you control depth.(it'll help you in understanding a 10ft Poly Leader is a 10ft Tapered Leader covered in a tungsten polymer!).
    The little leader ring will let you chop n change tippet at will with no shortening of the Poly Leader and give you an excellent safe anchor point for your tippet material every time.
    Also what you should realise is that, keep the wallet with the Polys. in your waistcoat/waders/jacket with you all the time and allways have one poly, or another on the business end all the time, controlling the depth of ones flee along with the speed it fishes at are one of the most important aspects of Salmon Angling..
    There's 3 basic depths you need to look towards achieving with your flee.For absolutely perfect full floating line presentation in the best of conditions, about 4" deep, for running fish, between 1ft and 18" deep-that'll put your flee right in Salars line of vision, and then within 1ft of the bottom or at times closer still, when Salars holding up in the lays, or its flaming freezing and Salars non too active.
    Master those 3 depths to a good flee presentation and it'll see you up n running and in with a shout of getting a pull or two.
    By the sounds of your initial success you're well on the path to success, hope you've a lot more to follow.
    Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 25-01-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Cheers for the info Rennie, I'm definitely going to pick up some of the tippet rings, I've been meaning to try them for ages instead of wasting meters of leader every time I change setup while trout fishing.

I'll see how I get on with the airflo line, the lad I bought it off said it casted well on that particular rod as I bought it as a full setup....time will tell.

Can't wait to get out now although we still don't know the water we can fish until the membership papers come, I'm assuming there will be maps or something showing waters/boundaries.

Im guessing the water below wylam bridge would be the go to for early season as i know tas have water there and its on the top of the tide. Never fished it but looks a good spot.
    There will be someone who fishes it on here somewhere.

Hmmm interesting if that turns out to be the case, I could walk there in 15 minutes!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast