Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newcomer to salmon fly fishing

Hello
    Just joined this forum as I have an itch that needs scratching. Iíve used the spinning method for salmon but I want to fly fish. Iíve fly fished for trout, grayling and the dreaded rainbows since I was 7 but never cast a fly in anger for a salmon. Being old fashioned I am looking for a book to get me started and if possible one that is 21st century.

I suppose I am looking for a book that points me in the right direction for basic tackle and fly choice. I know the Falkus boos are considered bibles on the subject but looking for something that gives me up to date advice.
    Many thanks everyone
    Ralph (aka Binbag)

Youtube may be the way forward for up tondate stuff, theres some good info on there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Dear Ralph,

welcome to the Forum, where you'll find all manner of wit, wisdom, nonsense and all else besides. Always remember that in salmon fishing there's no such thing as a stupid question. it can sometimes get robust on here, so keep a thick hide and a good sense of humour.

There's a good search engine on the Forum which can help you to follow previous discussions to find answers to all sorts of questions. Some of the older posts are gems of wisdom.

You may also wish to look at Just One Week. It's not a book but a blog with over 100 chapters that is designed to help novices with fishing for salmon with a fly. All the basics are in there with lots of photos, diagrams and practical examples from real fishing. Best of all, it's free. Don't hesitate to ask questions about the posts if anything is unclear.

Happy reading.

Books are great Binbag and the Falkus ones absolutely legendary.However times have moved on greatly and at the moment Salmon are in very very short supply.Can't fault you for wanting to gen. up on what you're wanting to achieve, but in my opinion the best way by far is to find some one local(ish) who can advise you on tackle and techniques etc., in fact to mentor you, before you go and actually on the water. You will need a casting lesson or so to get you up n running.
    There's an awful lot to take in and some of its not at all easy, but there are shortcuts to getting in amongst a few fish.
    Feel free to ask any time at all and no questions a silly one.Be very happy to help in any way.
    Pedro.

Agree with all that's been said. I can't say I know of any modern day books but a lot of what's been written in the past is still relevant. There's loads of stuff online from casting videos to tackle choice etc. A lot will depend on where and when you will be fishing as rivers can vary quite a bit. My suggestion would be to choose a local river and join a club or association with a decent stretch of water. Get to know the river and some of the members, and ask questions and sit and watch.
    Persistence and confidence are the two main things, if you have both of them you are well on your way ( obviously you need a water that actually has a reasonable run of salmon and decent water conditions)
    Good luck with your venture, it is well worth the effort Newcomer to salmon fly fishing

Tight lines Steve.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I've always found it helpful to read about the actual rivers I fish. If you have an idea where you're going to go it would help us to recommend a book specifically about your river or, at least, area.
    Falkus is good for his water but I think there's better advice out there if you fishing coloured spate streams or lochs, for instance.
    I wish you well in the hunt! Just remember when reading old books - there were a lot more fish to be caught back then. To catch one now is an even greater prize!

Welcome to the forum , my advice is listen to the locals , try and fish at optimum times , and always ask lots of questions

Buy all the books...Faulks, Oglesby, Little and Ashley-Cooper. Doesnt matter much whether its old or new...salmon have not changed, we have. Search the forum, watch YouTube, google and speak to the experienced. Totally immerse yourself. Get a local association ticket so that you can get out and practice you're casting, learn how to read pools and speak with the locals. If you're gonna book and break away...do the research and choose your fishing wisely but most of all...enjoy yourself 👍
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Atlantic salmon magic is a great book, I would recommend that over the others if you only got one book ... bit pricey though !

My dad still swears by his falkus books and says salmon cant read up on new trends and are still have the same instincts etc, it seems to work for him and he does catch his fair share still.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast