Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Default Ireland fishing - How to ?

Hi There,
    Going to Ireland next summer, I'm wondering how the fishing regulations are working. Where can I find useful info?
    Are all rivers private or belong to clubs ? how to book few fishing days?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Sebastien

To fish anywhere in Ireland you will firstly need to get a salmon licence, A 1 day licence will cost e20 and 21 day licence e40. As regards where to fish almost all worthwhile salmon fishing is either controlled by Clubs,Private Fisheries or Inland Fisheries(State body). Fishing is very accessable and will cost from e20 to e120 per day.Without knowing when you intend to visit it is hard to give recommendations,This is a broad guide but the information on individual rivers may be outdated.Fishing in Ireland - Fishing in Ireland. An angler's guide to the best fishing in Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by simoncassidy View Post
    To fish anywhere in Ireland you will firstly need to get a salmon licence, A 1 day licence will cost e20 and 21 day licence e40. As regards where to fish almost all worthwhile salmon fishing is either controlled by Clubs,Private Fisheries or Inland Fisheries(State body). Fishing is very accessable and will cost from e20 to e120 per day.Without knowing when you intend to visit it is hard to give recommendations,This is a broad guide but the information on individual rivers may be outdated.Fishing in Ireland - Fishing in Ireland. An angler's guide to the best fishing in Ireland.
    Hello Simoncassidy,
    Thanks for the response, I was also looking on fishingireland.info it look like a good point of start.
    I plan on visiting Ireland around end of June, early July. Let's say I like fly fishing single hand rod and prefer smaller rocky stream over large and slower waters what would you suggest?

Thanks,
    Sébastien

My suggestions for then would be the Owemore Bangor Erris Co. Mayo and the Cathedral beat on the Moy Fishery Ballina Co. Mayo both can be fished perfectly with a single-handed rod.There are plenty of spate rivers that would be worth a throw if it rained while you are here.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Here is a link to Bangor Erris

Bangor Erris Angling – Fly Fishing

and here's a link to the Blackwater at the other end of the country.

Home Page - Blackwater Salmon Fishery

Thank you to both of you for the hints - I look at it and may have more question further on ;-)

You are best to wait until a few days before you arrive to book any fishing. Some parts of the country might have terrible conditions and others might have prime fishing.

The river Moy in the north west catches more salmon than any other but most of the river resembles a wide canal. In drought conditions the Moy in Ballina town is a great place to fish as 100's of fish get stuck there. The weir pool is my favourite place on the river in a heavy drought. Skip it unless its super low, I have seen 13 men pay 80 - 120
    euros with only 1 fish caught.

The small spate river Erriff (mid west) fishes well after lots of rain.

The river Blackwater in the south comes in second after the Moy in terms of total catches. Its far more natural than the Moy, fairly large river but narrow in places.

waterlevel.ie will tell you how high the rivers are. I love the YR weather app to get an idea as to how high they will be.

In general you will have a decent chance after a few weeks of low water followed by a good rise in water level. They will run in large numbers then. Anything in between is generally not worth fishing. Its very hard to catch a salmon here unless the conditions are just perfect.

You will probably be flying into Dublin. Theres nothing great in the east coast so you will have to drive west. The good news is that Ireland is small so 2-4 hours will get you to any of the better rivers.