Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  55
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I was taught by an experienced old school rod who had ghillied both here and in Norway, that only once you had hooked the fish, lifted into the fish, the rod tip being high and you feel the controlled full weight of the fish on a taught line, you then strongly sharply and firmly tightened back into the fish just the once. This is setting the hook.

DCH
    Last edited by DonCurlyHorny; 03-11-2019 at 02:24 PM.

I always fish off the reel and when a fish takes I firmly lift into it. I then hold firm for a second or two just to let the hook drive home properly before I begin to play the fish. I tend to land a majority of the fish I hook but if one gets off then fair play to it. The fish have to win sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruino View Post
    What is the best way to set the hook. Know that a lot of different methods used by different people. This season I was lucky enough to land 6 fish over the season but had takes from at least 4 times this amount. I have the drag on the reel set so line comes off easily and I let the fish run for about 4 seconds and gently lift into the fish not sure now if this is the best method.
    Firstly I think you have been very lucky to get so many takes it may be that not all of them were salmon.
    A few years ago I saw an article in trout and salmon that asked all the well known ghillies what they did.surprise surprise there were all sorts of different ways which just goes to prove there is not a right or a wrong way of doing it.
    It's whatever works for you. I personally couldn't tell you what I do because it's an automatic reaction.
    Last edited by kimbo; 03-11-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Here's the blog post with the link to the underwater film and an analysis of the dynamics of the take.

Most salmon hook themselves. The first thing you feel is the kick that they make in reaction to their freedom of movement being constrained. You don't usually feel them chewing the fly or mucking around with it.

The more lateral movement the fish makes in the process the better the hook hold will be. For that reason you lose more fish that take near the dangle: there's little or no lateral movement and hook holds at the front of the mouth tend to be weak. In addition, grilse (many of which take near the sides at the dangle) have soft mouths an often come off. I reckon that I lose the majority of grilse that I hook (or not). Similarly fresh fish have softer jaws than established residents, and so you lose more of them.

Jus live with the percentages - there's not much you can do to change them. This year I lost loads of fish (mostly grilse on the Conon), whereas in 2011, which wasn't a plentiful grilse year the land to loss ratio was better than 9:1. Just don't do anything hasty or forceful. Once you feel a good solid kick raise the rod and lean back: it takes very little force to get the hook in (don't try empirical testing with fingers).

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post

In practice I almost never fish a swung fly, I'm always figure of eighting or stripping the fly so I could never give line anyway. I have found that fishing the fly fast leads to many more takes but also to better hooking so for me it really is win win.
    Back in the day, when salmon were abundant in the Teith and it could stand easily toe to toe with the best Tweed beats I tried an experiment. I was in a deep discussion with Tony Black at the time about the best method to hook a fish. He maintained straight off the reel, I was more comfortable with a big loop.
    Anyway, probably the best day I had anywhere in the world resulted in 32 takes with no more than a sink 3 tip and a no. 8 cascade. Nothing complicated. I alternated both methods and landed 16.
    Result on fish landed;
    Straight off the reel----8
    Big loop---------------8
    The other 16, well, I just screwed up.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Have a look at the Hakan's big fish thread on the video page. Hakan holds a loop of line in his hand.

Like the video john straight of the reel with a slack or tight drag but check the line with your fingers as you lift no method is full proof some you win some you lose

Some fly lines "stretch" more than others and it would be interesting to know if this makes a blind bit of difference to hook up rates.
    Also are some hooks likely to hold better than others.
    In his videos Henrik Mortensen seems to hit them hard when he gets an inquiry!
    Mike

When you feel the weight of the fish just lift against it. No snatch or quick strike. Since I am usually feeling the line through my index finger, when I feel the fish I just press the line against the cork with my finger. I also fish with my rod tip slightly up. This just gives the fish enough scope to start to turn before I feel it. Never been an advocate of feeding fish slack line, either by fishing off the reel, or letting a loop of line go when I feel a take. May work for some, but I have been using my method for more than 1/2 a century and I feel confident with it. Does not matter what method you use, you will still get fish which come away after the take.

Quote Originally Posted by ABK View Post
    When you feel the weight of the fish just lift against it. No snatch or quick strike. Since I am usually feeling the line through my index finger, when I feel the fish I just press the line against the cork with my finger. I also fish with my rod tip slightly up. This just gives the fish enough scope to start to turn before I feel it. Never been an advocate of feeding fish slack line, either by fishing off the reel, or letting a loop of line go when I feel a take. May work for some, but I have been using my method for more than 1/2 a century and I feel confident with it. Does not matter what method you use, you will still get fish which come away after the take.
    What do you do if you have a loop of retreived loose line as in when retreiving and the fiah takes ? I tend to let the fish have the line but under pressure from my index finger as i find it bunches on the spool if i whizz the spool by hand.
    Ive no idea which way works best, just intrested in how others deal with it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast