Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  43
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

The whole rating system is bonkers, a true switch rod is a rod that can be used single handed or double handed, I don't know many people who could effectively use 20g all day single handedly so anything above that is not really a switch rating.
    Some manufacturers call their short double hand rods switch rods but rate them for Double hand lines, nothing wrong with that per sae but is very misleading. If manufacturers would simply put a gram rating on the rods it would be far simpler. The AFTM system came about for double taper lines and worked well for that purpose but we are years away from that now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eminem View Post
    I had this rod and had great joy with Guideline's own Bullet Evolve 20g version (#9 on their trout scale if I recall). An aggressive WF line that was more than happy if I spey casted or overhead casted with it. Big sunrays or tiny flamethrowers.....with/without polys.....no problems.
    Sold that rod to fund the LXi version and still use the matching Bullet Evolve with it. A beautiful match.....utterly effortless....IMHO of course (and assuming you quite like an underhand/scandi stye of casting)

Can't believe for a minute that a 450gr line works well with the LPXe swithc.....and then some blame Guideline when rods snap :-(
    Ill be honest ive tried the barrio 425 grain on mine last week and it does cast well without feeling heavy at all, it may be the taper shape but it didnt feel over loaded and cast really well with a fast sink polyleader and cone head tube on. Ill not be trying to overhead cast it though as that may be an issue.
    I found the guideline multi tip that i got with the rod cast well overgead but struggled to get the distance needed with a spey cast unless my timing and movements were bang on, even then it felt like i had found its limit.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by doubletaper View Post
    Read a lot of these posts on these switch rod issues and purchased a 11' oracle switch rod from Norris's then emailed Mike at Barrio who emailed me back very quickly with his recommendation for that rod so looking forward to giving it a go very soon. Very interesting reading all the posts about weights grains Tips etc so Thanks everyone for the advice offered on this forum. P.S. any advice on a Reel for a 6/7 Barrio Switch line for that rod/set up??
    Ive got the 7/8 barrio on a guideline favo which is a really good reel for the money. Also the vision deep is hard to beat for the money.

Understood.
    These (scandi) trout rated switch rods are very much designed to be cast with a very fast snappy (underhand) action when speycasting. You can do this easily because they are designed to be so light yet powerful. Slowing everything down, as some would wth a double hander, and whispering God-save-the-queen during a spey cast with these rods just ain't going to cut the mustard. Gentle kiss on the water with your anchor then ping it out sharply (with a high front stop).

I'd also say, the bewildering range of lines available do nothing whatsoever at all to help those already confused in making a sensible choice.
    There's lines for the Trout rating, lines for Salmon rating, lines 1/2 way house twixt each, lines that'll make do n mend, overhead lines, lines that if you drop Two sizes, add a Sunday and divide by last weekend will do, but only if the winds underneath your left leg.
    Most of all there's the undeniable US of A influence, in that you need a short heavy line and a big tip on your switch rod, oh and Take Rio out of the game and its lots easier to understand!.
    I never know what to suggest to any one any longer, there's way too many specific lines on the shelves, when maybe most just want a line that works as well as possible over as wide a range of circumstances as possible.
    In all honestly contact the manufacturer and ask them their recommendations for their rod, then buy the appropriate line or shooting head and a set of polys.
    The rest's all just pants.
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    I'd also say, the bewildering range of lines available do nothing whatsoever at all to help those already confused in making a sensible choice.
    There's lines for the Trout rating, lines for Salmon rating, lines 1/2 way house twixt each, lines that'll make do n mend, overhead lines, lines that if you drop Two sizes, add a Sunday and divide by last weekend will do, but only if the winds underneath your left leg.
    Most of all there's the undeniable US of A influence, in that you need a short heavy line and a big tip on your switch rod, oh and Take Rio out of the game and its lots easier to understand!.
    I never know what to suggest to any one any longer, there's way too many specific lines on the shelves, when maybe most just want a line that works as well as possible over as wide a range of circumstances as possible.
    In all honestly contact the manufacturer and ask them their recommendations for their rod, then buy the appropriate line or shooting head and a set of polys.
    The rest's all just pants.
    Pedro.
    I dont really get the idea of a skagit line on a switch rod, if you want to depth charge the pool with heavy flies and tips then surely a rod of 13ft plus is the tool for the job.

Default Very Helpful Advice From Members.

I've been as confused as most with weights of lines, types of lines polys etc etc. But after looking and listening for a while and taking a bit of advice off this forum I plumped for a Shakespeare Oracle 11' 7-8 Switch rod with a Barrio 6-7 Switch line and a Vision Deep Reel 7-8 reel ( cheers Rrrr ). I'm a very average caster but must say after a little lesson off my fishing friend I'm very pleased with the set up. He has a set up which cost treble mine and I had a swing with his and although it cast very nice, I personally couldn't see a big difference in performance at all. Mike at Barrio lines was very helpful indeed with a few enquiries I emailed to him and I'd certainly recommend him and his products/services to anyone. Just need a bend in it now next week on The B.Esk (if it drops after this deluge)

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    450 seems heavy as its rated 21g, does it feel ok to cast ? The reason i ask is ive got the guideline laxa with the same rating and im still trying to find the right line for it as the line with it feels too light and dont want to snap it either.

The Vision works well with all forms of spey casts including touch and go and sustained anchor casts. I have also put a 10ft tip on the front to add even more weight and this works well too. I had a 390gr scandi line which I felt was too light and therefore bought the heavier line. I asked Guideline what they would recommend for the rod - here is their response:

"Hi Alan!
    I would recommend Scandi SH (single hand) #8/9 and Skagit 450gr lines for your rod.

Mvh/Best regards, Håkan Norling"

Balder sorry,
    no personal criticism at all intended. Some want their rods well loaded of course.
    But what you got as recommendations for your LPXe switch rod in #7/8 from shops is simply totally out of the spectrum (You were referring to 450 grain Vision ACE Multitip and 510 grain Rio AFS Scandi lines some posts earlier).
    I know this rod quite well.
    Sometimes there is a small path between overload and overkill, in both, fun/technique and material

In comparison to the Scandi line weights you got as recommendations from your shops, it seems as a „downgrade“ now, when you are referring to the recommendations of Guideline. The SH line in #8/9 is okay, meant for both overhead and underhand, touch and go casts.
    But nevertheless, never would I have put a Skagit of 450 grain on this rod.
    In general, for a SH rated switch rod like this, go up with around 30 grains with Skagit weight (body/Belly alone) from the recommended Scandi weight, in your case, around 300 to 320/330 grain. If it’s easier with Skagit for you, take an Airflo Scout of 360 grains. If you want it smooth and stealthy, take a Rio Scandi SSVT in #5 or the equivalent in weight of Barrio and you will be happy.
    That’s all you need and enough load for this rod in Scandi and Skagit spectrum. The rest is practice in technique. If you fixed it for yourself, tell your shop...

For the Skagit line of 450 grains, maybe I would have asked Hakan Norling if they have some spare parts left for the people reading this/his recommendation for a Skagit line.
    Even if a weight of 450 grain for a Skagit line would make sense on this SH classified tip actioned switch rod, the recommendation would need some more differentiation. The type of Skagit line/Belly (floating or double/triple density and length) has its additional effects and can result in even more rod load.
    But at least it’s far less compared in Scandi weights you were referring to earlier.

Switch rods are the most overloaded rods when it comes to speycasting.
    Do yourself a favor and get the right lines for a proper rod line pairing. You will come into it with technique after a while and then it will turn to your best to get the real benefit out of your switch rod.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Balder View Post
    The Vision works well with all forms of spey casts including touch and go and sustained anchor casts. I have also put a 10ft tip on the front to add even more weight and this works well too. I had a 390gr scandi line which I felt was too light and therefore bought the heavier line. I asked Guideline what they would recommend for the rod - here is their response:

"Hi Alan!
    I would recommend Scandi SH (single hand) #8/9 and Skagit 450gr lines for your rod.

Mvh/Best regards, Håkan Norling"
    Last edited by wetwader; 07-10-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    - Let´s be intolerant to intolerance - to protect tolerance -
    "paradox of tolerance"
    (British-Austrian philosopher Sir K. R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies)

Wetwader - thanks for your comments. I have both a 390gr scandi line and a 390gr skagit, from another switch rod. I feel that both these lines are too light, especially the scandi which is why I bought the Vision Ace system. I never overhead cast with this rod, and I would agree that if I did, the rod would probably break. Using spey casting techniques, the 450gr Vision system works very well (for me).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast