Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Louis,
    thank you for your kind words. I’m long overdue writing some fresh articles, but I have been rather busy with other things this spring.
    Michael

Thanks , when i will have 5 minutes i going to read this topic

Thanks
    T

Interesting topic, useful for me as I still have a lot to learn.

Paul

I understood the need to have only a few models rather "Standard" to avoid getting lost in indecision and doubt
    So if I summarize in "Standard" model:
    - Willie Gun
    - Shrimp?
    - Green Highlander
    - Copper King
    - Stoats Tails
    - Cascades?
    - ???

That I could decline in 2 or 3 sizes of hooks?

I'm going to read MCXFisher's article with a lot of interest

Finally I think I have really grasped the idea of ​​making a box for the fishing day according to the different conditions this is also what I try to apply when I fish for trout, sometimes with difficulties due to too much large numbers of flies I have

I continue to watch your answers with interest

Thanks
    T

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Keep it simple! If you have too many choices of fly you will only introduce indecision and confuse yourself. As Loxie rightly points out, fine distinctions between similar patterns are irrelevant. As my grandfather said, “most salmon flies are tied to catch fishermen not fish”. So stick to a few basic patterns and select the size to suit the water conditions.
    If you look at Inside the Box you will see that I have only 3 small boxes marked Low, High and Tubes, which fit easily into my jacket. Elsewhere on Just One Week you will find advice on choosing your fly to suit the conditions.
    These links have to be some of the most concise, well documented, and approachable advice regarding fly choice that I have come across!
    Kudos to MCX Fisher for this.

AM

Great reading in those links MCX
    Game Angling Instructors Association

Default fly box

To add another piece of Info into the mix. I own a Box of Flies from an old lower Tay Ghillie and it contains a selection of black and yellow tubes for the spring and a selection of black and orange tubes for the autumn.
    No real choosing there and this was one of the very good beats that caught a lot of salmon so who knows.......
    Since I have had my first of the year I may just try this box for the rest of the season ...

Stare at water.

Stare at sky.

Stare at water a bit more.

Approach fly box with trepidation and select fly. Try to thread line through its eye. What IS that gunk in there? Blow it. Suck it. Nope.

Give up.

Discard fly for similar. Succeed on 17th attempt at tying a neat blood knot. Vow never to remove said fly. This is the one. THE ONE. You're not going through that palaver again. Salmon are stupid. A fly's a FLY, right?

Water rises. Sun goes in.

Sigh.

I'd listen to MCX, as a beginner.

Ive been known to change flies twice before even wetting a line. Fly tied on amd having a coffee looking at the water, then back to my fly box and back to the water and change my mind.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Keep it simple! If you have too many choices of fly you will only introduce indecision and confuse yourself. As Loxie rightly points out, fine distinctions between similar patterns are irrelevant. As my grandfather said, “most salmon flies are tied to catch fishermen not fish”. So stick to a few basic patterns and select the size to suit the water conditions.
    If you look at Inside the Box you will see that I have only 3 small boxes marked Low, High and Tubes, which fit easily into my jacket. Elsewhere on Just One Week you will find advice on choosing your fly to suit the conditions.
    Those are really useful links so thanks for those in answer to a very good question. I was expecting to see some singles in the low water box (especially as you like blue charms) as well but note that even your low water flies are doubles. Can I ask why no singles - is it purely down to the size/depth of rivers you fish?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12