Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It looks like this thread turned into hot topic now Thank you guys for all your input. I tried to find clarification by myself on EA and Gov sites but to no avail. I don't want to cause any havoc on the bank hence I asked this question here.
    Let's be more specific now. My current spinning set up for trout depending on conditions consists of 7' 8-10lb rod, Daiwa reel 2500/3000, Main line 8/10 lb and lures Mepps No 1-2, wobbles 5-7cm, small aprox 5 cm spoons and 5-9cm plastics complemented by small but deep fishing net. Does it look to you like an ordinary trout set up and won't provoke any questions?
    Last edited by lucky_guliver; 15-04-2018 at 08:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_guliver View Post
    It looks like this thread turned into hot topic now Thank you guys for all your input. I tried to find clarification by myself on EA and Gov sites but to no avail. I don't want to cause any havoc on the bank hence I asked this question here.
    Let's be more specific now. My current spinning set up for trout depending on conditions consists of 7' 8-10lb rod, Daiwa reel 2500/3000, Main line 8/10 lb and lures Mepps No 1-2, wobbles 5-7cm, small aprox 5 cm spoons and 5-9cm plastics complemented by small but deep fishing net. Does it look to you like an ordinary trout set up and won't provoke any questions?
    In my opinion, at face value that's not a set up that would intentionally be used for Salmon, but could easily be targeted towards sea trout, particularly in smaller rivers. That's the sort of set up I'd choose for sea trout spinning.

Where I am (down south) anyone spinning for trout will attract suspicion, whatever they use

Another thing is location, fishing a definitely trouty area where 'accidents' are very unlikely to happen will help. The best way to not break the law is not to fish any river systems that hold migratory fish!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky_guliver View Post
    If you are fishing a salmon and sea trout river with that set up, particularly in the summer, you could easily be done for Fishing for sea trout and grilse. And IMHO rightly so as you will probably catch them.

If someone is trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes by using a ‘trout’ set up and get caught I have no sympathy
    Last edited by T7; 16-04-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T7 View Post
    If you are fishing a salmon and sea trout river with that set up, particularly in the summer, you could easily be done for Fishing for sea trout and grilse. And IMHO rightly so as you will probably catch them.

If someone is trying to pull the wool over people’s eyes by using a ‘trout’ set up and get caught I have no sympathy

If the Environment Agency at least attempted to do something which appeared to be in the best long term interests of either species or indeed the great angling unwashed masses who pay the vast percentage of their salaries then I might be less inclined to offer suggestions as to how anglers might avoid prosecution for not paying their way. The only positive contribution that the Environment Agency have made was purely unintentional by them. They appear to have united all anglers and angling clubs against a common enemy and that enemy is.........well the Environment Agency of course. I personally have not yet purchased a migratory fish license. I am still wrestling with my own conscience about whether to do so. I am of the opinion that one of the few remaining options open to us is to try and hit them where they will feel it most, a significant drop in rod license revenue. I personally do not kill fish. Have not done so for the last 15 years and have no intent to start doing so again. I do however earn part of my living from game fishing. The poorly thought out and ill considered plans that the EA are attempting to steam roller over all of us is bad for angling and ultimately not in the best interests of salmon or sea trout. If anglers start playing golf and stop fishing then nobody polices the rivers, keeps a close eye on pollution spills etc, etc etc. If the anglers don't do it then nobody will cos the EA don't. What then are we paying license fees for? I do know that the EA paid a £96,000.00 donation to the 2016 Manchester Gay Pride Event. This was done in the interest of promoting equality and diversity. I actively support the promotion of equality and diversity. I have no negative issues with race, gender or sexual preferences. I cannot however make a correlation between a 96k donation to such an event and the survival of salmon and sea trout.
    I love my brick

Agree with you on the EA and I do wonder where my money goes. The club tickets are another question however. I fished the Tay a couple of years ago and there was a ‘trout’ fisherman with a nice sturdy 10 foot single hander casting into the well known salmon lies for £5 a day. Similar experience on the Tweed before that.

I also was in 2 minds about buying an EA license (although I have) I’d rather someone didn’t buy an EA license at all than salmon fish on trout licence and pretend to be trout fishing, which is the bit that annoys me
    Last edited by T7; 16-04-2018 at 09:24 AM.

It's blood boiling time!.Lets be fair, any one can make a mistake through ignorance.Lucky Gulliver asked a very good question and hope he knows where he stands now.
    It makes my blood boil those who think they can flaunt rules and generally go about things in an improper manner to purely suit them selves.Especially when they attempt to stand along side those who follow protocol and do things in the right way.I'm happy enough to spend my brass and do things right,I have no sympathy or natural affiliation towards those who don't.
    Much as there are those who think they have a right to please them selves,there are those who will draw them to task for it-guess where I stand!.You can guess the rest so we'll leave it there then shall we.
    If some ones clever enough to want to cheat and bend the rules,they're clever enough to be a good angler when they do things right!
    Pedro.

Aye it bugs me when ive got to pay for my full ea ticket and others try and dodge it. I dont agree with the extra cost or the way they spend the money but its part of salmon fishing in england so we just have to put up with it. I couldnt get away with a trout ticket anyway as the 2 local ea guys know im usualy fishing for salmon and the 1st thing they ask is if theres anything showing.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

The law is the law.

We may not like the EA or what it does with the proceeds, or indeed how the government spends our taxes. But that does not give the right to disobey the law without consequences. And those consequences are not limited to the penalty imposed by the courts: criminal convictions can have deeply adverse effects on your application for a shotgun or firearm certificate; your credit rating in relation to your mortgage; and the cost of your car and home insurance.

Withholding licence fees will have no effect on the EA whatsoever, but it could easily lead to more expensive licences for the law abiding.

Of course the law is the law. If however I make a personal choice not to purchase a migratory fish license this is entirely my own prerogative. If I then make a personal choice to fish for non migratory trout using a switch rod and wee doubles who is to say what species I am fishing for? It cannot be proven and that's really all that matters.

As regards a drop in rod revenue shaking the EA out of their ivory tower I feel that is quite a leap to suggest it would never work since thus far it has never been tried. If any of you think for one second that I am alone in my consideration of this type of action you are with the greatest of respect incredibly naive. I meet a lot of anglers and there appear to be increasing opinions that this might be one way to fight back against what they are proposing to do to angling. The other 4 points in their much quoted Five Point Plan appear to have been kicked into the long grass due to lack of funding or lack of will. One other option of course is that we accept their trite argument which by the way is already challenged, and act like sheep glibly being lead to the slaughterhouse. I do however quite like mint sauce.
    Last edited by Perrypokemon; 16-04-2018 at 03:27 PM.
    I love my brick

Personally i say good luck to them if they have the balls to stick two fingers up to the establishment and fish for Salmon on a coarse licence, i certsinly wont shop them. I completely get if you break the rules you pay the price but if the rules are farcical, a joke, and they are willing to stand up and take the risk then every credit to them. I know a lot of anglers who will especially on the hook type/size front. How are we ever going to change anything if we follow these idiots implementing nonesense rules like sheep? I for one will comply to most of the changes for the only reason that i dont get in trouble with my clubs, i practice C&R 99% of the time anyway however if fishing alone will i comply with the new hook regulations? I wont answer that. This whole thing is a joke, iv done my bit to object, iv had a response from my local MP who is waiting advce from Minister of Rural afairs but dont expect anything positive. Like many others Iv not had a reply from EA, Defra or George Eustice and dont expect one anytime soon. Sticking two fingures up to them is all we will have left in the end.
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast