Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  10

Default Using trout lines as polytips?

Would it be worth the effort to make tips out of old/cheap trout lines to use as a polytip type leader?
    Thanks Al

Yes indeed it is Al.,does work out a bit costly, as if you want taper to the leaders, in theory you'll only get two tips per DT line or one per WF line.
    A far more effective way is the running line from WF lines, you'll get more tips but they'll be level,you should get more choice over sinking rate and length too that way.
    I use the running line from DI 6 lines off the front of Skagits and Rage lines and it works great!.
    Pedro.

We used MILL END DT trout fly lines bought from JOHN NORRIS years ago, long before Polytleaders etc. A very good salmon fisher on the Annan still makes up his sink tips using Mill Ends and he does just as well as anyone.
    Last edited by Torrish; 10-02-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    Fish where there is most fish and you are 90% there to becoming a successful angler.

That's handy I've a few old dt lines here and there's airflo lines available for 3 from ebay, they look and feel like any other line, but i haven't cast them yet..
    DSC_0072.JPG - Google Drive
    i never thought about using the running line presumably it's similar to level mono with the added benefit of sinking?
    Thanks everyone Al

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Yes indeed it is Al.,does work out a bit costly, as if you want taper to the leaders, in theory you'll only get two tips per DT line or one per WF line.
    A far more effective way is the running line from WF lines, you'll get more tips but they'll be level,you should get more choice over sinking rate and length too that way.
    I use the running line from DI 6 lines off the front of Skagits and Rage lines and it works great!.
    Pedro.
    Hi Pedro sorry to be a pest but could you help please... I have a wf di 7 the front taper at 10 ft is the same weight as my 10ft fast sink poly 5g, the running line is nearer 12ft for the same 5 gram....

1)Should 5g be the max
    weight?

2)Is there any need for anything over 10ft...

I was going to make a taperd 10ft a level 8 and 6 unless you can recommend some alternatives.
    Thanks Al

Those tips sound just fine Al,the tapered 10ft in particular!.By all means try the others.10ft of DI 7 will sink at the same rate as the fastest sinking LSR 24 poly tip.Maybe try some a little slower in the sinking stakes?.Going too short wont really do anything apart from keeping your flee off the surface.
    If you can find an intermediate and a type 3 sinking lines they'll make great tips and in all probability be the most useful to your fishing.I wouldn't go shorter than 8ft from floating lines any way, but a 5ft length from full sinking heads maybe wont be a bad idea.
    You could try and see what tips you can cast in length terms from your floating line, you might manage 15ft?,you can allways cut them back if you struggle.
    Experiment,see what you can cast and fish with effectively and importantly what puts fish on the bank for you!,see what turns over fully with even say a copper tube at the business end.
    The thing with level running line is its thin, there's less resistance to water and air, it'll be less visible than a big fat floating line and when you get it right it will help you control flee depth at that important 4" deep and maybe 18" deep.
    Personally I'd take a long tip that you can comfortably cast ok and will turn over the flee's you use, then try that length in differing sinking rates which gives you the opportunity of changing to suit circumstances.
    There'll be lots of running line for you to experiment with and it wont hurt to try out different lengths.
    Pedro.

Thumbs up

Thanks Pedro what would be the ideal line weight to look out for, I've got plenty of 7wt lines.
    Thanks very much for your advice and patience
    Al

Al,I'm not sure what breaking strain the trout lines are, you may well be better off looking at running lines from WF Salmon lines though, just to be on the safe side.Airflo polys are 24lb B.S so if you're somewhere near close, say 20lb it should be ok.Try the pull test on some scales before fishing with them!
    I know the bits I have are all from a WF 12 Salmon line that I damaged so decided to try.
    Also be careful that some Airflo lines use a fused multi filament core(not a one piece core like braid or mono!) and if you nick the outer coating at all in any way, they'll part like cotton, using braided loops is the way to go for joining them not welds or needle knots!
    Good luck, lets us know how you get on.P.

Default 15ft di5+3ft mono 1.5" copper tube terminated with a swivel for added weight,legality

The lines have a braided core, i tested the di5 3 times on the scales and it snapped at 22/23/22lb.
    I cut 15ft off the running line put on some loops then went to try it!
    Today wasn't ideal for me testing anything, the bit of water i use always has a head wind blowing.
    The first thing i noticed was its ability to cast into a wind, I've been using a 12ft intermediate(grey?) polytip to practice with and i just can't get it to cast into the wind.
    The turn over was really good when the wind allowed, other casts weren't so good due to the wind, ideally i need a calmer day to see what's what with the lengths, but early indications look good for 15ft, though time will tell.
    Thanks again for your help and advice Pedro...
    You're a credit to this forum!
    Al

Default Calmer day!

I managed to get down to the river for a quick cast today, the 15ft di3, di5 and one of the mono type intermediates all went out beautifully off my vision ace floating set up, i didn't have time to try the rage head but im sure they'll fly out.
    I did notice that 15ft of level on the water kills the cast, and found some tip/leader was best kept in the D loop?
    I don't know how much line is average, but im finding the vision line with one of they tips "57ft all in" is as much line as i can comfortably work with, does that sound about right for a 12,9 rod?
    Thanks Al