Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aidan Rocks View Post
    . . .the stream near my house flows into the trib that joins at the airport.
    The Gogar i think. Thats where a lot of the antifreeze from the runway enters the Almond.

    Unfortunately the Almond (and the surrounding areas) has an industrial past however I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the weirs projects. The fish pass at cramond is well underway and the one at Kirkton weir is complete. Once the rest are done it will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the salmon runs.

    Great brown trout water btw, especially on dries.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    The Gogar i think. Thats where a lot of the antifreeze from the runway enters the Almond.

    Unfortunately the Almond (and the surrounding areas) has an industrial past however I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the weirs projects. The fish pass at cramond is well underway and the one at Kirkton weir is complete. Once the rest are done it will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the salmon runs.

    Great brown trout water btw, especially on dries.
    The cramond was chokers with salmon this year due to the barrier they put up to stop the salmon getting through.
    TBH I was pretty annoyed at them closing the river for the 6 months the salmon run it, I would have thought they would have built the pass during the 6 months the salmon don't run it, however I,m looking forward to this seasons fishing.
    Al
    Last edited by Speytime; 04-12-2017 at 11:05 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    955

    Default

    I should also say Al that I doubt many fish actually spawn in the Almond main river. The little burn that runs in at Mid Calder (Linnhouse) is a spawning burn and is clean and is a great nursery for parr. My friend stays up the hill from there and thats where I first introduced him to stoneflies and 'stane men' etc, it is loaded with trout food. And as I say the weirs project will open up other good burns. A lot of good trout (and grayling) can be found in the Almond tribs so these will also be good spawning areas for salmon.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    955

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Speytime View Post
    The cramond was chokers with salmon this year due to the barrier they put up to stop the salmon getting through.
    TBH I was pretty annoyed at them closing the river for the 6 months the salmon run it, I would have thought they would have built the pass during the 6 months the salmon don't run it, however I,m looking forward to this seasons fishing.
    Al
    Yes the timing wasnt great but there were probably other factors involved in the timing (availability of budgets etc) however all for the greater good in the longer term, one year wont make much of a difference overall. I do believe some of the more experienced CAC rods could have assisted with catching fish to transport them over the falls as the methods involved seemed to be very innefficient but it is what it is now.

    As you say it was chockers so just shows how many salmon run in a normal year but go unnoticed. A lot of the salmon ran earlier in the year (as they often do on the Almond) so were unaffected by the works.

    Bearing in mind the number of weirs to be modified then there probably isn't a perfect time as there will always be work going on on a weir somewhere for a while.

    Also a good river for sea trout on a light rod

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Highlands
    Posts
    588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    No wonder rivers are short of fish in general compared to years ago.
    Offt! I hope you have some scientific evidence to back that up with otherwise they will be all over you like a rash!

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    The OP refers to "the Almond at mid Calder", so unfortunately I think it'll be a bit too far south for NG.
    Damnation, I have been looking for an excuse to get out of the office but I doubt if my Director would buy that one!

    NG

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    Looks like sewage or animal waste. Nasty and deadly. I recommend that you call SEPA straight away.
    My first reaction was a clay like substance or opencast mine discharge. Inorganic rather than organic but hard to say from the photos

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    7,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ness Glen View Post
    My first reaction was a clay like substance or opencast mine discharge. Inorganic rather than organic but hard to say from the photos
    Just up Stream from where I stay they are indeed digging near to the river, and as itís a clay belt, may well be the cause.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Posts
    35

    Default

    A member has offered to test it, I'll post the results soon as.
    Thanks everyone for there input
    Al

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •