Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  10
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Hook sizes and Tube flies

Hi, Im sure that I'll get the answers i'm looking for here.
    I have just purchased some tube flies to add to my slowly but growing collection. Are there any guidelines as to the size of hooks to use with them. Also can you use singles as well as doubles and trebles. I presume the size of the hook is determined by the size/diameter of the tube.
    Is there any info with regards to hook sizes different types of hooks and what is best for the job in hand.
    Also when fitting a hook on the fly does the hook need to be snug within the tube or can the tube be free to slide on the line

Thanks in advance

Mick

You can use singles, double or trebles. You want straight eyed hooks though, so they marry up nicely to the end of the tube. I always carry singles and normally use doubles. The singles can be very handy when there are leaves in the water, you'll hook 80% fewer leaves with a single hook.

In terms of hook size, there are no 'rules' I generally use what looks about right. As a rough guide...

for small hitch flies I'll use a 12 or 14, for a
    1" tubes a size 8
    1.5" size 6
    2" and bigger a 4

Bottle tubes, I tend to you a 6 if its bulky and a 8 if not.

BUT, all makes of hooks sizes are a little different to anothers. I normally use the Loop Nickle or Ken Sawada tube fly hooks.

Having said that, I lost 6 fish in a morning in Russia using a size 6 on an 1.5" tube in June. I put on a size 4 in the afternoon and netted 5. So, don't Believe any of the above :-)

Anybody!
    I've got Tubes without Hooks

Quote Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
    You can use singles, double or trebles. You want straight eyed hooks though, so they marry up nicely to the end of the tube. I always carry singles and normally use doubles. The singles can be very handy when there are leaves in the water, you'll hook 80% fewer leaves with a single hook.

In terms of hook size, there are no 'rules' I generally use what looks about right. As a rough guide...

for small hitch flies I'll use a 12 or 14, for a
    1" tubes a size 8
    1.5" size 6
    2" and bigger a 4

Bottle tubes, I tend to you a 6 if its bulky and a 8 if not.

BUT, all makes of hooks sizes are a little different to anothers. I normally use the Loop Nickle or Ken Sawada tube fly hooks.

Having said that, I lost 6 fish in a morning in Russia using a size 6 on an 1.5" tube in June. I put on a size 4 in the afternoon and netted 5. So, don't Believe any of the above :-)
    Thanks for that. its the kind of info I'm after. forgive my ignorance though when you quote 1" 1.5" and 2" and the size hooks for them what about the Dia of the tube in relation to the size of the hook eye. as a bigger hook say a 4 or a 6 the yes
    e from these won't fit into a tiny tube fly

You should have some flexible tubing on the end of the tube that the hook and line and knot sits in - keeping the fly and hook well presented.
    Have a look at pics here.
    Tubes

Thanks for the info and link neilt much appreciated. I'm still learning so all info helps me build a better understanding

Later

Mick

I look at it differently. If you are using a stiff rod a larger hook works better. If you are using a soft rod a smaller hook is good. Personally I usually use khamasan b990 trebles, in 10's, 12's and 14's. I very rarely use a ten. I use pretty mild actioned rods though. Singles are fine and on the rare occasions I use them I use carp hooks. I like a double fished upside down on a monkey as it gets fewer gill
    hooked fish. Generally speaking with bottle tubes, hitch tubes and sunray's i use a free hanging hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I look at it differently. If you are using a stiff rod a larger hook works better. If you are using a soft rod a smaller hook is good. Personally I usually use khamasan b990 trebles, in 10's, 12's and 14's. I very rarely use a ten. I use pretty mild actioned rods though. Singles are fine and on the rare occasions I use them I use carp hooks. I like a double fished upside down on a monkey as it gets fewer gill
    hooked fish. Generally speaking with bottle tubes, hitch tubes and sunray's i use a free hanging hook.
    Being a nuisance again. I know it might sound obvious ( to some ) but what is free hanging if you don't mind me asking

Cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Mickyo View Post
    Being a nuisance again. I know it might sound obvious ( to some ) but what is free hanging if you don't mind me asking

Cheers

Mick
    No drama I should have clarified. Basically instead of using a piece of silicon tube to fix the hook to the tube you leave the hook unattached. I put a small piece of plastic the over the knot and the eye to prevent damage to the knot and stop the hook going up the tail of the tube. I find it hooks and holds much better than an attached hook.

Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    No drama I should have clarified. Basically instead of using a piece of silicon tube to fix the hook to the tube you leave the hook unattached. I put a small piece of plastic the over the knot and the eye to prevent damage to the knot and stop the hook going up the tail of the tube. I find it hooks and holds much better than an attached hook.
    G
    Does that mean that the fly/tube runs freely up/on the line/trace?
    feel as though I'm being a right plonker here

Mick
    Last edited by Mickyo; 13-09-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast