Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: On the dangle

Default On the dangle

Missed my first salmon on fly this week took me on the dangle what's everyone s thoughts on setting the hook thought I had it then off felt the weight of the fish then lifted slowly. The fish decided to swim up to my feet then off. Was gutted but that's fly fishing

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

In my opinion they very rarely seem to stick when they take on the dangle

Don't let the fly reach a dangle. I increase the pace of the retrieve as the fly approaches my bank to encourage a ditherer into action.

Bad luck, they either stick or don't with those sort of takes.

I've never done well once a fish is hooked directly below me on the dangle.
    I now strike them and play them pretty hard, the idea being that if I have a poor hok=hold then they'll escape earlier in the fight.

Interestingly though I get a good hook-hold when stripping flies (especially collies/sunrays) and the fish takes directly below me. They don't seem to nip or pluck here, preferring to engulf and turn away sharply giving a nice hold in the scissors.

Learn from it and get back in the saddle ASAP.

Agreed in that there's not that much you can do, however keeping your rod point inclined inwards towards the bankside and retrieving line as you approach the dangle might encourage Salar to hit the flee more positively and it may well help Salar to not take the flee "end on" and it'll be at more of an angle in its mouth.I think it's all down to the flee sitting directly front to back in Salars mouth, hook depending you'll only get a hook hold either in the top lip or bottom lip-notoriously difficult spots to successfully hook correctly.Another thing is to give it some welly, get that hook in!.Win or loose, have a booze!.
    Having said that,I can miss or loose them at any angle of swing!
    Pedro.

You would be amazed if you knew how many salmon have taken your fly into their mouths at or near the dangle and you never felt a thing because they were swimming roughly in your direction! You have to regard any hooking in that zone as a bonus. However, all of the advice given above is spot on: if in doubt strip in order to make the fish try harder.