Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default does anybody sharpen hooks?

I like reading fishing books from the 'golden age' (my inverted commas) of Salmon fishing, the photos and daily totals from some of the rivers are simply mind boggling and I think that some of the fishing tips are still relevant. I have just finished reading, or should i say gone back into, 'A Salmon Fisherman's Notebook' by J Hughes-Barry (I know, I should go out more often), and if there is one thing he keeps stressing is the need to keep sharpening your hook. My question is, is it still necessary with modern hooks?

Yes, it is possible to catch a hook on a rock or a stone that will blunt the end, this can happen when fishing tubes with trebles or doubles.

I have a hook sharpener and use it one a fairly regular basis.

I dare say in the "golden age" the profile/gauge of hook was different and required to be kept sharp to engage on contact.

Falkus was against overly sharp hooks.

Instead of getting a good hold they catch in the first sliver of skin - then come out a bit later.

That's the theory.

i think the materials used in hooks now is weigh advanced from them daays therefore eliminating the use for sharpening them ,i do think it would depend on what the hooks were used for ie heavy flies, weighted nymphs etc that are in contact with the river bed so may not be as sharp as new weres dry flies would never see the river bed so wouldnt loose there sharpness ..this is my opinion of course ..i myself have been contamplating getting one of these little rotary tools and grinding down the upward point on my salar hooks ...either that or bloody replacing them with partridge p hooks

As Thrasher said, if you are fishing sunk lines etc & catch up on a stone it only takes a few seconds to check the point & touch it up on a grooved diamond dust hook file - takes are infrequent enough without missing them due failing to take a few simple precautions. Even small flies fished off floaters can develope a tiny amount of rust around the point up to the barb [especially if you have used forceps to remove them from a fish or damaged the coating with de-barbing pliers] & a few stokes of a fine file or stone will remove this & produce a sharp & polished point with no rough spots to prevent proper penetration when the fish takes.

Regards, Tyke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyke View Post
    As Thrasher said, if you are fishing sunk lines etc & catch up on a stone it only takes a few seconds to check the point & touch it up on a grooved diamond dust hook file - takes are infrequent enough without missing them due failing to take a few simple precautions. Even small flies fished off floaters can develope a tiny amount of rust around the point up to the barb [especially if you have used forceps to remove them from a fish or damaged the coating with de-barbing pliers] & a few stokes of a fine file or stone will remove this & produce a sharp & polished point with no rough spots to prevent proper penetration when the fish takes.

Regards, Tyke.
    spot on. give them a check now and again and sharpen them up its not difficult and you can even buy the sharpening stones on rings to hang on your jacket

I carry a hook sharpener. I don't use it that often, but it is a great tool for sorting out bent points and the like.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

blunt hooks dont work . unless you killing ..

Default A lot has to do with how the hook was originally made.

Soft metal will require a few 'strokes' from a sharpener ... some of the new 'chemically' sharpen hooks (out of the box) require a diamond edged 'thingie' or it's a no contest .. won't happen.

That aside, there's a similar thread going on the SpeyPages.

fae

I use one of these batery operated efforts.

Quick and clean.