Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Sink tips

Default Sink tips

Hi all

Going to start my fishing this week, it'll be good to get out! Anyways I'm wondering what sink tips should I be using in the spring? During the summer I was fishing with a 10ft inter, on a float line, I would be fishing with floating line again, with springers do you need to get down to where they lie etc? Big flies and a 10ft/15ft sinker 3 etc be okay?

thanks all

Flyfishin,match the gear your using to the height/speed of the water and the temperature, the faster and colder the water, the more you'll need to beat the current and get your flee down in front of the fish nice n slow!.At the moment given reasonable conditions for most rivers I'd be looking to get my flee within 1 foot of the bottom.However,its getting ever warmer, flows are reducing to reasonable levels and more fish should be entering the rivers, so I'd also consider fishing the flee right in the path of running fish at about 1 foot/18ins deep, especially during the warmer better parts of the day, say mid day to just before dark!.
    Sink tips let you change a lot easier whilst in the water,so make the use of them!,if your fishing through a pool and there's fish showing in a particular spot, then don't be afraid to change to a quicker tip/heavier flee to get down to them, then change back!.
    Being able to read the water and conditions on the day, taking any advice offered by other rods,Ghillie etc. all helps you.Some times you only ever get to find things out by getting stuck in and trying them out so if you're hooking bottom, loosing flee's then change to a lighter tip/flee!,if you see fish in one spot, get down to them and if you're lucky enough to see numbers of fish showing, then they're obviously on the move so go lighter and get your flee right in front of them.As the water ever more warms,Salar will rise up or move some way to chase a flee, however they wont go down for a flee, at times its so easy to fish underneath them unknowingly!
    Keep your options open as well as your eyes and ears.You could say if you feel the cold, fish deep, if you feel its warm and its a nice spring day, then fish higher in the water!,react to nature as the fish do!
    Tight lines,Pedro.

Cheers pedro

I was thinking that already just wanted a bit of help!! What would you normally use sink tip wise when the river is at ideal height for the fly after a flood ? I'll bring a di3 and a inter and a few other sink tips and see, I suppose you just have to go out and keep trying!!
    Cheers Ff

It all depends on the river your fishing dude, the flow depth and water temp. all play a part.I'd start on a 6ips 15ft tip from a multi tip line on the Tay where I fish, but the Ribble where I also fish would use a 10ft brown or green poly off a full floater.
    Now you say tips, just what sort of tips do you mean and what sort of line?.I presume you mean 15ft multi tips and not 10ft poly tips?,if so you'll be fishing them off a purpose designed line for 15ft tips I gather ?.
    I could say do this,do that, with this or that, but it wont mean bo diddley to you until you get out and try it for yourself.
    Now an important factor to consider,I'd always expect a 15ft tip to fish deeper and cope with stronger flows than an equivalent sink rate of 10ft poly tip.If you were to push me I'd say a good starting point is a 15ft tip that sinks at 3 ips(your DI 3),if its deep or fast or the waters high n cold maybe try the 6 ips,then as the water falls and clears, the flow ease's, go to the clear inty.
    As far as flee's go, well I'd happily start on a flee tied on a 1 1/2"brass tube with an overall wing length of 2",maybe a copper bodied tube if its a strong deep current, then dropping to little brass bottle tubes still with a long wing as the water falls.
    Now is the time of year for things to be changing almost daily, you could be in a freezing cold semi blizzard one day or in shirt sleeves the next on a perfect river.Be prepared for anything weather wise as that will dictate your approach, be flexible as much as you can.
    Now the best thing to do is to ask around how others fish where you will be fishing and copy them, especially if they're catching or have caught fish, watch them, ask them most folk will happily share their information!.But!,don't just ask what with, but ask why too-thats the important bit!
    Best of luck,Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 20-03-2017 at 03:16 PM.

I usualy start with a slow sink tip and weighted fly and if its getting hung up then move to an inter tip or swap the fly to a double etc. Depends on the depth and flow of the river really. Where i fish is maybe 6 or 7 foot max so a 5 ft poly on a floating line and cone head works fine. Any more and ill use a rapala tip lol

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk