Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What size of fly?

All,

Is there a rule of thumb on what size of fly to use whilst fishing? At the moment most of my self tied collection are on a size 10 wilson double at the largest. I regularly fish the Aberdeenshire Don. How big can I go or how small should I go?

Cheers

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    All,

Is there a rule of thumb on what size of fly to use whilst fishing? At the moment most of my self tied collection are on a size 10 wilson double at the largest. I regularly fish the Aberdeenshire Don. How big can I go or how small should I go?

Cheers

Matt
    Hi Matt,
    Most angling literature will state that size of hook or overall length of the fly is dependant on water temperature ie. Colder=larger and warmer=smaller.
    In my experience size 10 is a good size for normal conditions all through summer. If the water is lower or warmer than normal I use smaller flies (12's or 14's) or if it is higher (spate) or colder than normal I use 8's or 6's.
    Early spring or late Autumn requires the use of sinking lines and tubes or waddingtons.
    Hope this helps..

DH.....

Check the following thread.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=13004

The info is relevant regardless of the type of fly you are fishing.

Thanks for that guys. Time to get some bigger hooks into the vice I think!

Where abouts on the don do you fish ?
    MARK

I've got an aberdeenshire roving ticket but so far haven't fished at Alford yet. I've fished the top half of the Inverurie water and all of the Kintore water.

Quote Originally Posted by ABK View Post
    Check the following thread.

http://www.salmonfishingforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=13004

The info is relevant regardless of the type of fly you are fishing.
    Does that chart represent hook size or overall size of the fly?

also consider the fly style- a stoats tail dressed on a 10 and a cascade on a 10 are very different prospects.

i fish the don and would err on the side of small flies- some low water doubles in 10 and 12 should do the trick.

DHs advice seems on the money

yeah I was thinking that the other day a stoats tail on a size ten probably isn't miles away from a cascade on a size 16 double.

An old rule of thumb is as follows:

Water Temperature (F) Hook size
    45-50 2-6
    50-55 6-8
    55-60 8-10
    60-65 10-12
    65+ 12-16

As has already been noted a long-tailed or long-winged fly tied on a 10, will look a lot larger than a short winged fly on the same hook size.
    People tend to think in terms of fly length as well, but the bulk of the dressing is sometimes as, if not more, important.
    I canít view the images supplied by ABK from work, but if it is the chart that I am thinking of I remember trying to memorise it from his book a few years ago. I liked the chart because it does not confuse the issue with hook sizes, which can vary greatly from one manufacturer to the next.
    While any guidance in the way of prescribed sizes is a good starting point, people often get too tied up in the text book formulas. On the day, some flies will just look right.
    For instance, if we were to take low water and bright conditions during the spring on two different rivers; one large and fast and the other a medium sized river with medium flow. On the smaller river, most experienced anglers would scale their fly size down a bit to take into account the conditions. However, on a larger, faster river a much larger fly may be more appropriate.
    MacD is an experienced Don rod, so his advice will be sound.
    Overall, go with your instinct as on occasions something different that feels right will brings rewards when the standard text book approach is failing. Tie on a fly and look at it in the water and see if it looks lively and natural in that environment. If it looks right it is right!
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast