Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default greys grxi+ 11ft 6"

Hi guys anyone have or use the above rod, how do u rate it? and do u have any line recomendations for it ie shooting head weight?
    i was thinking 20g head or there abouts.
    Have had a look in shop and looks like a super wee rod but is it a practical wee river / summer rod.
    cheers craig.

A couple of my pals have this rod & I have the 11'6" hardy Swift which is very similar. Both are great little rods for smaller rivers or light line work on the shrunken pools of slightly bigger rivers in summer & they play fish well as long as you bear in mind that not just the rod but probably the whole outfit is going to be a lot lighter than the 15 footer you were waving around in the spring.
    on my hardy I bought a set of the Scierra MWF #7/8 heads which are around the 21g mark, my mate also has these on his Greys rod. this go fine but are at the lighter end of the envelope & a 24g cut down PWF version flies better on either.
    I recently bought a 390 grain [25g] Airflo rage head for my Hardy & it is dynamite on this rod, we haven't tried it on the Greys yet but they are so similar I have no doubt it will handle it well; if you want somthing a little lighter then I bet the 360 grain version [23g] would be pretty good as well. The Rage heads handle the 10 ft salmon polytips better than most other heads in these small sizes, but are only available as floaters. they are a bit shorter than most other heads so suit these short rods well for use on small rivers where casting room is restricted.

Regards, Tyke.

cheers for the info tyke much appreciated, i don't have the rod yet but am tempted it's for my lad, started looking for a 12/13ftr but seen a second hand grxi+ 11ft 6 and wondered if it would do the job........
    still undecided
    craig....

A had this rod and is was great wee rod fished it with a 7/8 afs tracker
    Dont worry be happy go fishing Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by thunderball View Post
    A had this rod and is was great wee rod fished it with a 7/8 afs tracker
    is there a rod u've no had

Don't think so bud lol
    Dont worry be happy go fishing Hidden Content

I've just sold one. Good rod. Rio AFS outbound 6/7 floater with 10ft tips was good fun. Got myself a marksman 2 S series now, same length but with a 7/8 afs hover. My 14 and 15 footers are rarely used nowadays...

can i ask how much u sold it for? pm if you prefer..

I have one,its a belter of rod,well finished and does what it says on the tin with aplomb.I use the Scierra MWF kit on mine at 21g,it handles all the heads with long tapered leaders or polys dressed flees or 1" copper tubes fine.It will handle a bit more weight in the line just fine but I am happy to date.In my opinion it does away with the need for a switch outfit and I can use mine in low water for Salmon or at night for the Sea Troots with no worry.I got the full outfit over a year ago for 159 I think,haven't regretted it at all.Pedro.

Sold it for 140 complete with the aforementioned AFS Outbound.