Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Switch/single rod, river/sea, recommendation

Been going through threads here and can't make my mind up. I'm looking for a rod which I can use at night for sea trout, low water, small river salmon and out on the rocks for bass. Too much to ask for? I'm drawn to the idea of a switch rod as I want the power for the sea fishing, yet still retain finesse for the river. Lines I already have are Guideline 4cast float and sink tip lines rated 7 which are great for Spey casting on the river and I'll be buying a line or 2 for the sea yet. Anybody who uses a rod for similar conditions please help something under €200 would be good as I'm saving for a hardy uniqua 14 footer also...the list grows
    Last edited by reddie; 15-01-2012 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reddie View Post
    Been going through threads here and can't make my mind up. I'm looking for a rod which I can use at night for sea trout, low water, small river salmon and out on the rocks for bass. Too much to ask for? I'm drawn to the idea of a switch rod as I want the power for the sea fishing, yet still retain finesse for the river. Lines I already have are Guideline 4cast float and sink tip lines rated 7 which are great for Spey casting on the river and I'll be buying a line or 2 for the sea yet. Anybody who uses a rod for similar conditions please help something under €200 would be good as I'm saving for a hardy uniqua 14 footer also...the list grows
    Hi reddie,

If you want to keep costs down and use your fly lines which are for a single hander? Then you need to be careful most switch rods are spey line rated, which means you would need to go up 3 sizes in a single handed line to get the correct weight. In saying that some switch rods are rated single hand rod weight like the Guideline switch rods, I seen a second hand one on here recently for 200 euro? Hope this helps keep an eye on e bay.

I have used switch rods for coastal fishing for sea trout, cod and Pike (yes we get pike in the brackish waters of the Baltic) for nearly three years now. My experience however is only based on the ECHO family of switch rods known as the ECHO SR designed by Tim Rajeff. These rods are available from a 10’6” #4 weight with a grain/gram window of approx 210gr-270gr/14g-18g to a 10’10” #8 weight with a grain/gram window of approx 450gr-510gr / 29g-33g.

IMHO the #4 & #5 Switch rods are for trout and small sea trout/sewin, the #6 for sea trout and the #7 and #8 for large sea trout, grilse, small salmon and pike.

When asked which switch rod I recommend for sea trout fishing on the coast its not any easy question to answer – if you are in the position to be able to afford a couple of rods then a #4 or #5 weight switch is ok, in addition to either a #6 or #7, however if (like most people) you only intend to buy one switch rod then I would recommend not going below a #6 or depending on the other task you want it to do even a #7. Also as I mentioned in another thread just before Christmas (just here) if you intend to buy a switch rod to use as a 1hand and a 2hander then I honestly think that you will be disappointed. I use them only as short 2handers and 95%+++ of the time cast spey/modern spey/scand/skagit with them only very very occasionally reverting to o-head casts.

I use the #6 ECHO SR for sea trout, both on my local river and the coast for sea trout and cod – on the river I tend to use micro-tubes, snake flies and gurglers/wake flies. On the coast I use shrimp and sand eel patterns on slightly weighted hooks in size 6 or max 4.
    I use the #7 for grilse, larger sea trout and pike. The #8 I use for salmon and pike and on one river I fish where the sea trout grow over 10Kg (mind you I haven’t caught one of that size … yet) .

Lines:
    I started off using scandi compacts both on the river and the coast – nowadays I tend to use either a Skagit-switch or rage on the coast and either a scandi compact, rage or Skagit switch on the river, depending on water level, and size of fly I want to chuck. Although a scandi compact is great to cast on a switch, they are pushed on the coast casting into a head wind – hence my recommendation for a Skagit switch. The rage lies between the two, but has fast become my “goto” head for the coast and also more and more for the river as well.

Once again I use a variety of heads depending on where I am fishing and the size of flies I use - however if I was pushed to recommend one head for using a switch on a river AND the coast I think it would be the skagit switch (here is a short review). The skagit switch is a tad "brutal" but you can get it to land relatively softly by keeping the power down and shooting high; these heads are versatile, enabling you to fish with floating and sinking polyleaders plus CCT's (length of Tx). However they are not the be-all-andend-all they do have one disadvantage: because they are only just over 5m in length don't expect to break any distance records, but do expect to spey/skagit cast in really tight corners. Having praised the skagit switch if HOWEVER you intend tio use floating and/int leaders and not the heavy stuff then I would suggest a Rage.

IMHO to optimise the use of a switch rod I think you can forget your 1hand lines, add the cost of a couple (well at least one) switch rod compatible head to your budget. they dont cost the world but will make a world of difference.

We are selling off our test/demo rods which we used during 2011 and I know that there is a #4,#5 and #6 (possibly a #7 as well) switch amongst the pile, and I am pretty sure that we can meet your 200€ budget. Drop me a mail if you are interested and I will let you know how much they cost (different prices, depending on the amount the have been used).

I hope I helped part the "Olympian mist" to some extent, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask - either here on-board, or via email or give me a ring.

Have fun
    get out there ....

Just bought AIRFLO 40+ XT fly rod 6/7 from Garry Evans as it was half price. Hopefully should do the job for what I want. Maybe a little light for the sea but I'd only bring it out in a calm day anyway, should be a good scrap with the bass! switch rods didn't sound right for me, don't think they'd suit what lines I already have. Maybe in the future. Thanks very much for your detailed replies, very very helpful.