Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Switch rod line ratings ??

Hi Guys

Ive come to salmon fishing from a single hander trout fishing back ground and have never owned a double hander. I find myself intrigued my fathers deer creek 11' 4#

Im really struggling to get my head round switch line ratings ??

The old fella has a deer creek switch 11" 4# which seems to be the about a single hand 6wt-7wt

Yet the Deer creek 11' 4# switch rod is full flex , right down into the handle and bends over well with a 1lb river brownie on it, yet handled a 10 lb salmon ! although it did look like a rainbow

Ive been looking at either the Snowbee 10' 8" 5# or the Vision 10' 11" 6#, but if the old fellas rod is any thing to go by that make the Vision 6# switch equivalent to a 8wt or 9wt single hander

Which i find off putting ..............as im thinking of this rod more for trout than salmon.

Yet my limited experience with double handed seems to suggest theres little point in comparing the line ratings between double and single handers as they are very different animals indeed !

For whilst the deer creek 4# roughly a 7wt in a single hander and feels similar when cast single handed , it feels more like my single hand 5wt with a trout on ?

I dont think it helps manufacturers list very wide grain ratings i.e TFO 11' 6# is listed as 300-500 grains ?

Whilst the Vision 10' 11" 6# is a very precise 355 grains ??

Whilst the TFO 11' 4# is listed as 200-400 grains ??

I find such a huge range difference in the grain rating very confusing indeed

Id be interested to know what lines you guys use on what make and weight of switch rod ??

Ive heard you can use higher rated single hand line on them as well full "switch" lines ? All new all very confusing ............

Regards Stephen

Hi stephen.
    I bought a secondhand St Croix imperial 11ft 6wt and being on a very tight budget wanted to get the right line 1st off. I found very limited knowledge of these light double handers on these shores. They are very popular in the states and if you do a search on speyclave im sure youl find what your looking for. Theres a shop called redshed who are very helpful, just give them a call and they will sort you out with the possibilities. The huge grain weight window comes from different line types. light scandi shooting heads at the lower end and skagits at the upper.
    I was told that my rod had a window of 240 - 420 grains so i went for an airflo compact scandi head at 330 grains and 25lb amnesia running line.These light shooting heads arnt available in the uk as far as I know.
    It flies with 10ft floating and intermediate heads but struggles with sinkers. When i get chance ill get a 300 or 280 grain for sinkers to try.
    Hope this helps.

Rod

Default Grain Window

Stephen, when I stated off on the journey of 2hand casting a few years agao, I was despite understanding the difference between 1hand and 2hand line ratings terribly confused about grain windows. I have written a very short article explaining grain windows, please feel free to have a look at it just here. Perhaps it might help.

Rod - I suggest that you go for a skagit switch to cast sink tips with on your St Croix (dare I suggest a 390gr?) - they dont cost the earth any more.

By the way I use switch rods and lightweight (#5,#6,#7) 2handers a lot
    get out there ....

Hmm, interesting thread, I recently purchased a Grey's 11'6" for a 6# double hander and I also cant get a line to suit, I'm trying to use a WF9 pike line cut short but its still a little light and does not load the rod correctly unless your timing is spot on. I do my fishing on the small Ayrshire spate rivers and want to use the rod for low water summer salmon so I wont be needind sinking lines, any ideas on the type of line I could use?

Is the greys rated according to the 1hand or 2hand spec (I assume 2hand) and do you happen to know its grain window?

Which model is it?

stuart
    get out there ....

@bankwheel ooops - I just had a look at Tim Rajeff's (Mr ECHO) spey compatibility chart, if its a GRXI you have then he recommends a 390grain scandi compact for that rod.

stuart
    Last edited by BalticFlyFisher; 01-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    get out there ....

Quote Originally Posted by bankwheel View Post
    Hmm, interesting thread, I recently purchased a Grey's 11'6" for a 6# double hander and I also cant get a line to suit, I'm trying to use a WF9 pike line cut short but its still a little light and does not load the rod correctly unless your timing is spot on. I do my fishing on the small Ayrshire spate rivers and want to use the rod for low water summer salmon so I wont be needind sinking lines, any ideas on the type of line I could use?
    Airflo delta spey 6/7 goes great with this rod

Hi, going slightly off thread but still with line ratings ..my brother and I went on the river this year and he put the wrong reel in his bag, he brought his size 6 wf trout line instead of his 55ft 9# floater to use on his 14ft Guideline 9 weight, but he was stuck and had to use it he fished smallish point and single dropper fly slowed his style down but had no trouble putting the flies out and fished all day like this he swished a few times but once the timing came good off he went...work that one out
    cheers Glyn

Short scandi shootin heads are the job for switch rods.
    I use a Rio steelhead/scandi sh for my 11'#8 orvis Access. It's got a 31' head and weighs 435gr. Airflo also do a similar line.
    For some reason, these short shooting heads are not available on this side of the pond yet. I ordered mine form the US.
    If you check the Rio spec. reccomendations page http://www.rioproducts.com/skin/summ...ine%20Recs.pdf, you'll be able to find the grain weight to best suit your dh rod.
    I really think switch rods are the way forward for most small and even some medium sized salmon streams.
    I used a Z-Axis 11' #8 on the Upper Nithsdale AA water on the nith today and it covered the water fine.
    Fishing with switch rods is so much fun!

I think the nearest line to the american switch lines we can easily get here in the UK is the Airflo Forty Plus. I have a 9wt on my single-hand rated 7wt switch rod and it goes well. It is not dis-similar to the Steelhead Scandi by Rio which is a great line but you will need to order it from the Red Shed.

TL
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast