Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  30
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Quote Originally Posted by paddymc View Post
    Can I ask what weight shooting heads you used on the 14í6 9/10 destination please?
    Not heads per se, but I use the 10/11 Gaelforce multi tip in float, Sink 2 & 5 with the 15ft tip Paddy.
    If you want to turn it into a triple density, add a 10ft tip, the rod has the dig, lifting power and recovery to deal with it easily.
    One of these days you'll take the plunge Paddy.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Yep, the Gaelforce EMTís at 8/9 or 9/10will work well. Which to choose depends about how deep it want to load. I really canít say too much, as I donít have that much experience about the lines for that rod, but those will be safe choices.

Can I ask what weight shooting heads you used on the 14í6 9/10 destination please?
    The Gaelforce website lists what lines the company recommends with each rod. Well worth spending half an hour having a look.

I gave up messing about with trying to match rods and lines some years ago. I go by the website. And James will always give you his views direct if you email him. I have two 14'6" 9/10 destinations for trips abroad and all the lines to go with them. I no longer need to worry about kit and can just get on with what it is all about, fishing.

I also have a 12'9" and a 13'9" but that is another story.

P.S. And you also get top notch customer service with this. I damaged a rod ring last year (no idea how) and was sent a replacement section the next day.
    Last edited by Handel; 13-02-2020 at 11:18 AM.

Its definately more of a 10/11 depending on the load you like, it will handle scandi heads between 40 and 44 grams light load very easily, but like all of the gaelforce it excels with a deeper load and its especially good imho with lines with added sink tips.
    A nextcast zone either 525 or 550 with a 15 foot 9 gram tip would be my choice depending on the type of fishing, I tried the rod for a while in Russia last season and it confirmed my findings most of the destinations are slightly under rated, if you were casting big and heavy flies I would definately go to the 550 grain head, for shooting heads with regular poly leaders I would be using heads around 42 to 44 grams , being a truly progressive action they are not fussy with a wide range of weights but I personally like the feel of the heavier heads , even on my 8/9 rated rod it's very comfortable to use normal touch and go spey casts with a 550 grain skagit and 15 foot 9 gram tips that's how versatile they are.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rotenone; 13-02-2020 at 12:24 PM.

This shows how differently people think about line weights. For me 14í6" #9/10 line weight would be more like 39-41g. The rod bends deep and with lighter scandi it can achieve very high line speeds and long casts. One thing is sure, the rod has really wide grain window and it works with many lines. Everyone should try to find their own.

E: also it is not only the line weight, it is also the taper of the line that affects a lot. With other rod, Airflo rage 450gr plus guideline 9g tip was awful combination, but Rio Gamechanger 450gr with the same tip was really wonderful.
    Last edited by Zamora; 13-02-2020 at 04:08 PM.

The decision: Gaelforce Destination 14í6" #9/10 is coming to this address.

Hands up, it was just amazing feeling. No words can describe it. This is what I must have! I tried to resist the calling, but my mind was weak, as was the flesh.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this topic. Hopefully someone else will find some help from these pages.

Good decision and one you will not regret. I have been fortunate to try most of the rods in the range and not found a bad one. There was one switch rod in particular which was to die for, suited me to a tee, can't remember which one though. Enjoy your new rod.

Nice choice. That rod is on my wanted list, to add to the 3 Gaelforce Destination rods I have already. Not cast a bad one yet.
    Cheers Diarmid.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345