Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New loch style rod advice

Looking for a new modern rod for pulling wets and tripping t’bob. Mainly for Corrib. Thinking 11’ ,6/7. I currently use an original purple Alltmor 6-8, but it’s a two piece and transportation an issue. I know there are old classic Daiwa’s and B&W’s etc but want a modern, lighter rod. All advice welcome.

I gave up on longer rods years ago. Now I use an older version 10 foot Hardy Demon 6 weight rod and 7 weight Cortland rocket taper floater, for most of my boat fishing. A 5 foot intermediate Airflo Polyleader with a tippet ring on the end allows me to attach a mono leader of about 10 feet with 2 flies attached at 5 foot intervals ...or thereabouts. This is a rally nice set up- for me .
    The extra foot of rod length might be okay in " calmish" conditions but it becomes a real pain to wield all day in a big wind, which is what you can usually expect on these big loughs. You can get extra height for the dibble if you want it by elevating your seating position eg. thwart board etc.. However, if you are in a big wave I would sit a bit lower to lower your centre of gravity in the rolling boat. The 2 fly arrangement, by the way, results in far fewer fanks / tangles so you spend your time fishing more productively and less time trying to unravel your leader, which tends to happen just as you are drifting over a nice bit of" fishy " looking water.
    Last edited by PETEY; 04-01-2020 at 11:38 AM.
    You won`t catch anything if you don`t keep your bugs in the water!

Hi, Barrarex, what's your budget and would you consider building from a blank?

I, too, want an 11 footer, a #6 for loch-style drifting for sea trout & salmon in the Hebrides. My issue is the weight of the old 11 ft rods I've tried. They're ok for a session but tiring for a day and can give tennis elbow mid-way through a holiday week!
    I'm currently searching for an 11 ft blank with a sensitive tip and a bit of beef in the butt which I can complete at 4 oz or under as I think, suitably balanced by a reel, I could work such a rod all day, all week.
    Not many companies make this length/weight and those that do sell them as 'switch' rods, designed for a d-h handle. Whether they will serve my purpose with a full wells and wee fighting butt, I don't yet know but intend to find out. I'm thinking of starting with a Bloke XL50 11ft #6, 4 pc which might suit you, too? Mick Bell is great to work with and will supply a full kit, advice or even build the rod for you to your specs.
    If interested but not familiar with Bloke, google 'Bloke XL50' for forumites' comments. They're, what, 10+ year old tech now but still nice rods and were very well received initially.
    Best of luck with your search. Let us know what you choose.
    Last edited by Lewis.Chessman; 04-01-2020 at 11:55 AM.

I have been looking for something similar for the season ahead and currently swaying towards the Hardy Shadow 11ft 6/7 weight.
    I have only had a brief look at it in a tackle shop so far but it seems to be what I am looking for.

Going to start using a LPXe 10' 6 #7 for loch style fishing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeE View Post
    Going to start using a LPXe 10' 6 #7 for loch style fishing this year.
    How do you find the lpxe in a single hander ? I use guideline rods for all of my salmon fishing but not used one for trout, are they fast actioned like the double handers ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrr View Post
    How do you find the lpxe in a single hander ? I use guideline rods for all of my salmon fishing but not used one for trout, are they fast actioned like the double handers ?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I only have the 9ft 6' #7 but yea they would be a fastish rod like the DH but till very nice to fish with. Paired with a Guideline Bullet I use it for trout and grilse.

I was looking for just such a thing as an 11 foot 6/7 but almost nobody makes them anymore. It is nearly all switch rods when you get over 10 foot. This is no help at all as the whole idea of an 11 footer is the extra length for working the bob fly so putting the handle a foot up the blank immediately loses you that extra length.

I ended up with an 11' #6 Shakespeare Agility 2. Don't laugh they really are fine as long as you are lucky and get one that stays together!!!
    The other rod that I've finally managed to track down was a second hand Enigma 11 footer. If you can find one they are superb.
    Both of the above rods I used on Uist for sea trout and good trout and the Shaky has even taken salmon out of the Naver!

Andy

Might be just the thing for ‘ over the front ‘ from a drifting boat.

http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing...gen-trout-spey

Remember , though , that these are rated for ‘ salmon ‘ lines despite being dubbed as trout Spey rods.

I have the 11’6’’ #4 and it work fine with a #7 ‘trout ‘ line.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

It's the added leverage of the 11fters as much as, if not more than, the finished build weight. Oh and never discount the mighty Shakespeare! I've said it before but the Trion 10'6" #5/6 is a peach of a blank and has landed a Naver 20lber whilst fishing the riffle hitch aimed at grilse
    Last edited by liphook; 04-01-2020 at 08:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast